Might buy a Vigilant coal stove.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

oldpaddy

Nov 1, 2009
Cape Cod
Hi all, a friend just called me to ask if I want to buy his barely used Vermont castings vigilant coal stove. He said he bought it in the 90's new and maybe used it for three winters.
I'm going to go take a look at it tomorrow morning. Is there anything I should look for? I know a lot of people confuse wood and coal stoves. How do I tell if it's not for coal?
If it is a coal stove, how are these stoves? What kind of coal do they burn? How easy is it to find parts?
I have a drafty 1600sqft home and I've been using a temp coal 2 for the last 10 years. I love it. Simple and most of the parts can be fabricated if needed. Before that we used pea coal stoves and the house was always freezing. Plus the parts would wear out quickly due to over firing the stove.

Thanks for any help!

Status
Not open for further replies.