Might have to turn the oil on.....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hemlock

Feeling the Heat
May 6, 2009
east coast canada
my wood is water-logged and beginning to rot in the stacks. This is the wettest winter I can remember. Started raining late November, and has rarely let up since. Very frustrating - I've not turned on the oil boiler in two years. (Sorry, had to vent).

Is this season's wood not covered? How long in the stacks and what kind of wood? If the wood was well seasoned going into Nov, seems strange that it could have begun to rot over the past few months of winter weather. You have no way of drying wood (bringing loads to stove room, garage, etc., etc.?? Cheers!

NH_Wood said:
Is this season's wood not covered? How long in the stacks and what kind of wood? If the wood was well seasoned going into Nov, seems strange that it could have begun to rot over the past few months of winter weather. You have no way of drying wood (bringing loads to stove room, garage, etc., etc.?? Cheers!

It was not covered. I keep about 4 cords in my woodshed under cover, but it won't be ready to burn until next year. I've never covered my "outside" wood in the past, but I've since tarped it, hoping for a few sunny days. The wood in question has been cut since last November, stacked since May, and is mostly maple and yellow birch. I've had no problems in the past that a day or so by the stove couldn't fix. Maybe rot was the wrong choice of words, but there is mold/fungus growing on it now. It is strange, but when I think it's been rained on constantly for months, with almost no sun at temps around 32F - 39F (0C - 5C) until this week - it does seem like the perfect conditions for waterlogged wood. It has been a strangley warm/wet winter here.
I've never been a "tarper", but after this winter, I think I've been converted.

last winter we ran out of wood around feb. We got "seasoned" wood delivered, as everyone knows, there is no such thing as "seasoned" wood, unless you do it yourself. Regardless we burned it, it took a lot more air, a lot less heat, lot more nasty wood. BUT it was better and cheaper than burning the dinosaurs in the tank in my basement.

Sure the chimney got more dirty, but I kept an eye on it, it wasnt a big deal, swept it out just fine anyways.

maverick06 said:
last winter we ran out of wood around feb. We got "seasoned" wood delivered, as everyone knows, there is no such thing as "seasoned" wood, unless you do it yourself. Regardless we burned it, it took a lot more air, a lot less heat, lot more nasty wood. BUT it was better and cheaper than burning the dinosaurs in the tank in my basement.

Sure the chimney got more dirty, but I kept an eye on it, it wasnt a big deal, swept it out just fine anyways.

I'll likely keep burning it too. Like you say, more air, less heat - but I resent the thought of switching the burner on.

Jags said:
Winter - Canada - Rain - My head is about to explode. I woke up to 6f this morning.

Strange, eh? That's why I've never been too concerned with covering the exposed wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.