Mignetics??? Pellet brand?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

briggsy13

Sep 19, 2011
Maryland
So my hubby comes home tonight and will be out hunting pellets probably tomorrow so I'm doing leg work and calling around to see what is in stock where and how much. Well a Lowes near us said they carried "Mignetics"? I should have asked him to spell it but figured I would just search here and it would show up. I haven't gotten any hits with my spelling. He said they are made in West VA and "are good pellets". :)

Wondering if anyone has heard of these? or anything similar in name?

They are $197 a ton and the best price so far, but if no one has heard of them not sure I want to be the guinea pig.

Thanks!!

Probably "Lignetics" . They make several different brands. There are Blue labels, Green labels, Orange labels (ai think), and they also make Presto-Log brand. The Label color is what identifies the brand. The bags all look the same (except Presto Logs) with just different color writing.

They are not a bad pellet. I have only burned Green labels and Presto's, but not bad in my stove. Every stove and set-up is different. Its always best to try a couple bags before you commit to a ton or more.

Dont want to end up with a high ash pellet, that produces little heat in your stove.

Sarah, as mentioned above, the Lignetics brand pellets are usually a good choice. However, the company also makes pellets they sell as "Presto Logs" brand. These have an up and down reputation.

If the ones in the store are indeed the Presto Logs, you need to buy 2-3 bags and do some test burning before buying a ton or more.

If the bags are labeled "Lignetics", I still would do some test burning....they make 2 or 3 different "variations" (hardwood, hardwood-softwood blend, and hardwood-conifer blend).

Report back what brand/variation you find.

Thanks for the answer guys!!!

Based on my calls today our choices are

Penningtons @ $227

Bayou @ 197
Nations Choice @ 197

Old Dominion @ 224.50

Based on the reviews I've read on here I'm leaning towards the Old Dominions, but dh needs to read for himself and see what he thinks too. He's currently stuck in an airport waiting on delayed flights. fun fun

Several stores I called today were out of pellets totally.

briggsy13 said:
Thanks for the answer guys!!!

Based on my calls today our choices are

Penningtons @ $227

Bayou @ 197
Nations Choice @ 197

Old Dominion @ 224.50

Based on the reviews I've read on here I'm leaning towards the Old Dominions, but dh needs to read for himself and see what he thinks too. He's currently stuck in an airport waiting on delayed flights. fun fun

Several stores I called today were out of pellets totally.

Be careful with Penningtons and Nations Choice (re bagged Infernos) Most all here consider them to be the worst pellet ever made. Don't know to much about Bayou or Old Dominion. Best to test burn a few bags before you stock up.

I have 1 ton of Green Label Liqnetics. I find them to be a decent pellet with good heat and not a lot of ash. I got mine at Tractor Supply for $197.

So we did some more calling around and found Hamers for $254/ton. Compared to the other pellets that were $200 and considered to be pretty poor pellets we have opted to buy 2 tons of the Hamers and 1 ton of the Old Dominion to add to the 1 ton of Stove Chow we already have. Hoping those 4 tons will keep us nice and toasty all winter long!!!

briggsy13 said:
So we did some more calling around and found Hamers for $254/ton. Compared to the other pellets that were $200 and considered to be pretty poor pellets we have opted to buy 2 tons of the Hamers and 1 ton of the Old Dominion to add to the 1 ton of Stove Chow we already have. Hoping those 4 tons will keep us nice and toasty all winter long!!!

You should be in good shape!! Use the Stove Chow now as your "shoulder season" pellet, and save the OD & Hamers for the cold weather. Enjoy the heat!

Status
Not open for further replies.