Mill slabs worth it?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

vbu

Feeling the Heat
Mar 3, 2019
MS
A friend of mine just picked up these bundles. 20$ each (there's 2 on this trailer), they load them for you. I'd say each bundle holds 1-2 face cords.
Unfortunately we don't have the luxury here of having logs dropped in our driveway from tree services.

What do you guys think, is this worth it? I hate paying for wood, but this sure takes a lot of work out of it.

wood.JPG

I'd get it, you just have to cut it and it dries out quick if it isn't already dry. Mix it in with bigger stuff or use it on days you need a quick warm up.

The issues with slabs is faster burns as the bark has low BTU content and higher ash content so more ash to dispose of more often. It also dries quicker as long as long as its stacked with a lot of room for air flow.

Nothing wrong with cheap heat! Yes it will burn fast but once dry it will burn. Make a bucking rack and go to town. I think slab is better than 3’+ diameter when it comes to ease of processing.

When you need wood, you need wood; nothing wrong with slabs. They go for the same price here, and to me that’s cheap. I don’t have a trailer to load that much, but it works as well as my truck bed… simply cut to length as you slide them off the back. And they split much easier! (The only tree service that’s dropped off logs at our place was working next door felling the neighbors white oak - score!)
Cheers, be safe!

I’d do it. You could get a lot of wood for a $100 bill.
Exactly what I was thinking. If I put any value on my time, this is way cheaper than bucking up a tree, loading it, hauling it, splitting it, etc. Once I get my wood shed finished and all my wood in there, I'll probably fill it up the rest of the way with these slabs

Reactions: Stinkpickle
I purchased slab wood to supplement my woodpile. Mine were mostly debarked. Generally they are thinner than a split and will burn faster. I found that putting two piece saw side facing each other helps a bit as it limits the surface area to the heat a bit. For $20 I would get as much as you can. The place near me is $75 a bundle, which they say is close to a cord. I hand loaded from bundles that broke at $40 all you can take. I got about 2500 lbs for that $40 just because the truck had a 3000 lb limit and I had to guess at the average slab weight.

Reactions: vbu