"Millboard" - The Truth!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jtp10181

Minister of Fire
Feb 26, 2007
Marshall, WI
While working with an R & D guy this week we accidentally found a reference to the "millboard" that is so mysterious in the Quadrafire stove manuals. This is from the newest UL 1618 in regards to "Ember Protectors 2".

"The subcommittee has chosen R=0.45 as the minimum thermal resistance required. This value comes from the long accepted benchmark of 3/8" of asbestos millboard with a k-value of 0.84."

But Quadrafire says 3/8" with metal clad so what R value is that? I gave up trying to figure it out for my 4300 and put down 1/2 " cement board with 2x4 metal studs on top with 2 more layers of cement board over that capped ( soon ) with 2+ " of ceramic rock. It better be enough cause I aint tearing it out!

The metal cladding doesn't add to the Rvalue, it protects the millboard with a non-combustible surface. You did well and are ready to go, even if you switch to a stove with a hotter bottom.

Thanks BG I needed that vote of confidence, as long as the inspector sees it the same way.

BeGreen said:
We talked about this a little while ago. Here are some current manufacturers of non-asbestos millboard. If you go to their site you can find currently available specs.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/8374/

I knew we talked about it before, and no one (not even me or other Quad dealers) really knew what they were talking about. I also posted not too long ago that someone at Quad told me anything non-combustible at least 3/8 thick would suffice which is not really true. I just wanted to clear the air.

All the travis manuals just say 3/8 Non combustable

Status
Not open for further replies.