Milled Pine from Today

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
We milled just under 156 total board feet today. I did get a late start but things went well with a break for lunch around two. These slabs are 1.25 thick, just under twelve feet with the widest board 19.25 and the smallest 15.25.

I did get the aux. oiler and the mini mill hooked up but never used the mini mill. The last thing we did was (smokin speak) was pop the top off from the pine we hope to mill tomorrow, attached are some pictures.

zap

Attachments

• 100_3610.jpg
    100_3610.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 343
  • 100_3611.jpg
    100_3611.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 295
  • 100_3612.jpg
    100_3612.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 301
  • 100_3613.jpg
    100_3613.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 308
  • 100_3614.jpg
    100_3614.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 310
  • 100_3615.jpg
    100_3615.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 319
  • 100_3616.jpg
    100_3616.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 305
  • 100_3621.jpg
    100_3621.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 316
Lookin' good Zap. I'll bet that pine smells great.

My neighbor told me he could smell it coming through the woods. I used two chains today and the aux. oiler makes a big difference. The wife took care of the wedges and the aux. oiler, she did a great job.

zap

Thistle said:
Lookin' good Zap. I'll bet that pine smells great.

What does pine go for per board foot?

zap

Both mills near me sell at 65 cents/bd.ft. I can get whole logs from the same people for 35 cents/bd.ft., so I would only save 30 cents/bd.ft. by milling logs that I buy from them, and that's not including the saw kerf loss. They aren't doing much better. They pay on the average about 27 cents/bd.ft. for logs by the truck load. You are lucky to get the wood for free, ain't much money in it if you are buying logs.

Very nice Zap! Glad to hear that aux oiler works well. How'd you end up fixing that sloppy fit on the tube?

amateur cutter said:
Very nice Zap! Glad to hear that aux oiler works well. How'd you end up fixing that sloppy fit on the tube?

I used a small wedge (plastic) at first but that lasted about five minutes in the woods. I think the aux. oiler will stay like it is because at times I needed to take it off.

Thanks
Zap

Attachments

• 100_3619.jpg
    100_3619.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 297
Looking Good Zap... My Father stopped by to see the Grandkids and I showed him these pics of your set-up. He wanted one.. Said "Kid, You know what we could do with one of those?". I said "Yeah, You Buy it!! And we will do it."

Very Impressed Zap. Are you running the 880 too (like Smokin?) or is it the 660. I thought I remember you having a 660 (To lazy to go back and search). If its the 660, how is it running through that Pine?

I was at the Stihl dealer today and was looking at the MS 660 and MS 650 (They said that its not really popular/didnt ask why), and the 460.. I am hooked on the Stihl "Bug". Cant Justify the 880 or really the 660, or 650 without a Mill. But Maybe Sant will bring me a 660 (Wife) and a Mill (Father). Or I can dream for a few more years...

DexterDay said:
Looking Good Zap... My Father stopped by to see the Grandkids and I showed him these pics of your set-up. He wanted one.. Said "Kid, You know what we could do with one of those?". I said "Yeah, You Buy it!! And we will do it."

Very Impressed Zap. Are you running the 880 too (like Smokin?) or is it the 660. I thought I remember you having a 660 (To lazy to go back and search). If its the 660, how is it running through that Pine?

I was at the Stihl dealer today and was looking at the MS 660 and MS 650 (They said that its not really popular/didnt ask why), and the 460.. I am hooked on the Stihl "Bug". Cant Justify the 880 or really the 660, or 650 without a Mill. But Maybe Sant will bring me a 660 (Wife) and a Mill (Father). Or I can dream for a few more years...

Smokin's loaded for Bear with the 880, I have the 660 which does a great job on the pine. If your father does get it and santa brings the 660 make sure dad also throws in the aux. oiler if you go with the 36 inch bar. Make sure you tell the wife the Oregon Chain Grinder will save her plenty of money if you get all the other toys.

zap

Very nice Zap! I would think that pine boards that wide would be valuable.. Those are some very straight trees so you have little waste.. Now you need a large board planer or some yards can do this for a fee and you can have some awesome finished lumber.. My log home was built with red pine logs and you can still the pine smell after nearly 25 years and amazingly the sap still oozes from the knots outside! Looks like you need to start building a wood shelter using your saw mill! :)

Ray

Yep, let those season for a year or so and they'll keep you warm all winter (and no creosote)!

Zap, how is the learning curve with your setup? So easy a caveman can do it? How are you getting the final product out of the woods? Just doing it places you can get the truck to?

SolarAndWood said:
Zap, how is the learning curve with your setup? So easy a caveman can do it? How are you getting the final product out of the woods? Just doing it places you can get the truck to?

With some help from some members here it's not bad, each time out (only two) it seems easier. The first time I milled my chain tension could have been tighter plus getting the log up off the ground helps big time.

Yesterday was the first time using the aux. oiler (the wife did a great job with that plus the shims) which made it better when running the 36 inch bar.

The wood we've been doing is stickered in the area we milled it, we could get the truck to this spot. Once we start milling back on the land I cut firewood on I'll use a seven foot wagon for hauling it to the truck then back here.

zap

raybonz said:
Very nice Zap! I would think that pine boards that wide would be valuable.. Those are some very straight trees so you have little waste.. Now you need a large board planer or some yards can do this for a fee and you can have some awesome finished lumber.. My log home was built with red pine logs and you can still the pine smell after nearly 25 years and amazingly the sap still oozes from the knots outside! Looks like you need to start building a wood shelter using your saw mill! :)

Ray

Ray we will have to find out what we can build without being taxed up the arse by NYS, but hopefully by next fall we have something we can hang in and enjoy the sounds and sights of the woods.

zap

zapny said:
raybonz said:

Ray

Ray we will have to find out what we can build without being taxed up the arse by NYS, but hopefully by next fall we have something we can hang in and enjoy the sounds and sights of the woods.

zap

Zap here in Mass. I pay no tax as my shelter has no permanent sides.. I use tarps secured up top and bungi's on the bottom.. Right now my tarps are rolled up and secured to the top to allow maximum air and sun to the wood.. In the late fall I roll the sides gown and bungi them in place.. Maybe that would work for you?

Ray

raybonz said:
zapny said:
raybonz said:

Ray

zap

Zap here in Mass. I pay no tax as my shelter has no permanent sides.. I use tarps secured up top and bungi's on the bottom.. Right now my tarps are rolled up and secured to the top to allow maximum air and sun to the wood.. In the late fall I roll the sides gown and bungi them in place.. Maybe that would work for you?

Ray

Ray thanks for the info, I'm talking with the code enforcement officer Monday morning. It's not the woodshed I worry about but the small cabin/shed we want back on the property the brook runs through.

zap

zapny said:
With some help from some members here it's not bad, each time out (only two) it seems easier. The first time I milled my chain tension could have been tighter plus getting the log up off the ground helps big time.

Yesterday was the first time using the aux. oiler (the wife did a great job with that plus the shims) which made it better when running the 36 inch bar.

Thanks Zap, I think I am going to do the same setup.

SolarAndWood said:
zapny said:

Thanks Zap, I think I am going to do the same setup.

Solar once I start doing some precision milling then I'll find out how much I've learned.

zap

That is the only thing that concerns me about the chainsaw mill. My patience level and time available to take my time leaves a little to be desired. Makes me wonder if I should continue to keep my eye out for a bandsaw mill.

The big reason we went with the Alaskan Chainsaw Mill is we do not have any good method of getting the big tree to a bandsaw mill. So far we like what we see in the slab sawn lumber even though it's hard work.

zap

Looks very simple! (EVEN A CAVEMAN CAN DO IT) lol Nicely done. ;-)

smokinjay said:
(EVEN A CAVEMAN CAN DO IT) lol

My idea of precision is usually swinging a club at something until it fits...growth area I have been working on for decades %-P

SolarAndWood said:
smokinjay said:
(EVEN A CAVEMAN CAN DO IT) lol

My idea of precision is usually swinging a club at something until it fits...growth area I have been working on for decades %-P

I have a very nice set of hammers. ;-)

Well Smokin I stopped this morning at the Wood Chop Shop and the Carlton ripping chains for the 25 inch bar were all set, so we have the 36 inch (3 chains) the 25 inch (3 chains) I also picked up a skip tooth for bucking, for the 25 inch bar.

zap

zapny said:
Well Smokin I stopped this morning at the Wood Chop Shop and the Carlton ripping chains for the 25 inch bar were all set, so we have the 36 inch (3 chains) the 25 inch (3 chains) I also picked up a skip tooth for bucking, for the 25 inch bar.

zap

I got them hanging everywhere. Nice when there already to go!

Attachments

• caddy.jpg
    caddy.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 124
Status
Not open for further replies.