Milled wood and drying time.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smokinj

Minister of Fire
Aug 11, 2008
Anderson, Indiana
My Dad is a cabinet maker and check my hickory for moisture Tuesday. It was cut down in early May and Milled late June....
Moisture is Under 8 percent cut at 1-14 inch thick......It will be a Harvest table by Thanksgiving I Hope..lol

That will be way cool. Make sure you post up some pics when that thing gets done. Actually a couple of action shots of the build would be cool too.

Jags said:
That will be way cool. Make sure you post up some pics when that thing gets done. Actually a couple of action shots of the build would be cool too.

Yeah, Will Start ripping it down to 6 inch Sunday... Top will be Hickory and the bottom and Benchs will be Walnut.

smokinjay said:
My Dad is a cabinet maker and check my hickory for moisture Tuesday. It was cut down in early May and Milled late June....
Moisture is Under 8 percent cut at 1-14 inch thick......It will be a Harvest table by Thanksgiving I Hope..lol

It's about time you got out of bed, looking forward to the picture of the table.

zap

zapny said:
smokinjay said:

It's about time you got out of bed, looking forward to the picture of the table.

zap

Been Very busy but not with wood lately...Table saw Sunday got about 1000 board foot to rip. My Dad has been auguring the point that wood has to be under 8 percent and there's no way its ready.....lol Its under 8 but didn't tell him it was well over 90 degrees for the last 10 days in my shop. You would break a sweat in sec's in there.

smokinjay said:
Its under 8 but didn't tell him it was well over 90 degrees for the last 10 days in my shop.

Ha, ha! Over 90 inside temp! That'll break the "one year per inch of thickness" rule, won't it? Got yer own kiln goin' there. lol

Should be real nice when it's done, SJ. ;-)

smokinjay said:
zapny said:
smokinjay said:

zap

Been Very busy but not with wood lately...Table saw Sunday got about 1000 board foot to rip. My Dad has been auguring the point that wood has to be under 8 percent and there's no way its ready.....lol Its under 8 but didn't tell him it was well over 90 degrees for the last 10 days in my shop. You would break a sweat in sec's in there.

Hope you understand the dynamics involved. I've been a woodworker for 30 years and in that time I've made a few errors. Listen to your old man. I bet he has made the same mistake you are about to make. I did. I won't do it again. Oh...my dad, looking down as I type this laughing, told me I was using the wood too soon. I ignored him. Not good.

Wooddust said:
smokinjay said:
zapny said:
smokinjay said:

zap

Hope you understand the dynamics involved. I've been a woodworker for 30 years and in that time I've made a few errors. Listen to your old man. I bet he has made the same mistake you are about to make. I did. I won't do it again. Oh...my dad, looking down as I type this laughing, told me I was using the wood too soon. I ignored him. Not good.

I let it set for 3 months and then hit it with my wood burning furnace....Same as kiln dry wood......under 8 under 8.... My Dad only uses kiln dried he just doesn't know this was kiln dried.. He will figure it out at some point but why spoil the fun for him. lol

Been a woodworker most of my life, and the stuff has a mind of it's own.
Kiln dried is good, but I've even seen that stuff warp and twist and cup and,....well, you get the picture.
I've had some spruce, white pine, and red pine in the side yard, stickered, for over 2 years. Not so much sun, but lots of wind.
Stupid me, thinking it should SURELY be dry by NOW, decided to use it as trim in the stove room. Nicely matched, mitered corners, became nicely separated mitered corners in about a day.
I'm now taking the just under 5/4 stock down to about 7/8's, then into the room it goes, to dry for a few days, before I cut it again. I'll cut it oversized, then dry some more, THEN install.
I hate mitered corners with gaps.
A nice solar kiln would be ideal.

PapaDave said:
Been a woodworker most of my life, and the stuff has a mind of it's own.
Kiln dried is good, but I've even seen that stuff warp and twist and cup and,....well, you get the picture.
I've had some spruce, white pine, and red pine in the side yard, stickered, for over 2 years. Not so much sun, but lots of wind.
Stupid me, thinking it should SURELY be dry by NOW, decided to use it as trim in the stove room. Nicely matched, mitered corners, became nicely separated mitered corners in about a day.
I'm now taking the just under 5/4 stock down to about 7/8's, then into the room it goes, to dry for a few days, before I cut it again. I'll cut it oversized, then dry some more, THEN install.
I hate mitered corners with gaps.
A nice solar kiln would be ideal.

Yep Thats what I am doing ripping it down to 6 inchs and back to the wood furnace room for one more week then the build will start. Under 8 percent now but once rip I think there will be some moisture there.

Good thinkin'.
I should have known better, but I was in a yank to get the stove room trimmed. I've since calmed.
I'd really like to see progress pics, when you have time and inclination to share.
My brother and I built a dining table for his house. He had someone else put a bartop type finish on the top, and he picked it up today.
VERY nice finish, but I call the table his "Flintstone". Pretty rustic.

PapaDave said:
Good thinkin'.
I should have known better, but I was in a yank to get the stove room trimmed. I've since calmed.
I'd really like to see progress pics, when you have time and inclination to share.
My brother and I built a dining table for his house. He had someone else put a bartop type finish on the top, and he picked it up today.
VERY nice finish, but I call the table his "Flintstone". Pretty rustic.

Thats what I want the bottom and benchs to look like soild and dark walnut. The top will be very light "Hickory" with just a clear coat.

Jay, I hope you post a picture of that table when you are done. It sounds like it will be really nice.

Backwoods Savage said:
Jay, I hope you post a picture of that table when you are done. It sounds like it will be really nice.

Starting on it tommow and hope to be done by X-mass Dinner.....Crossing my fingers on that one.

That sounds sweet. I think a build thread is in order here. Good Luck!

FireAnt said:
That sounds sweet. I think a build thread is in order here. Good Luck!

Got the top cut out plain down and sticker again. Will start gluing it up Tuesday.

Status
Not open for further replies.