Milling Action today!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smokinj

Minister of Fire
Aug 11, 2008
Anderson, Indiana
Little Hackleberry!

Attachments

• milling.jpg
    milling.jpg
    269.5 KB · Views: 420
  • milling2.jpg
    milling2.jpg
    246.9 KB · Views: 402
smokinjay said:
Little Hackleberry!

Now THAT'S a big hackberry! What do you use milled hackberry for Jay? Nice setup! Cheers!

NH_Wood said:
smokinjay said:
Little Hackleberry!

Now THAT'S a big hackberry! What do you use milled hackberry for Jay? Nice setup! Cheers!

Not sure yet! lol Man those slabs are heavy 8ft x 16inch minimum and 2-1/2 thick! Very clean tree.

Nice - let us know what becomes of it! Looks damn heavy! Cheers!

smokinjay said:
Little Hackleberry!

Smokin looks great, send some of that weather Northeast!

Zap

Ya, that is some heavy stuff Jay. Hey, where is all the snow? Maybe we have it all.

Thanks...Weather was perfect!

NH_Wood said:
Nice - let us know what becomes of it! Looks damn heavy! Cheers!

Guitar blank......just cut one off 22x14-3/4 x 2-1/2 wax it up and putting it in the keiln.

That's a nice operation going on there, smokingjay. You seem to have found a sweet spot combining craftsman and artisan. Nice.

Jay, I always wondered how you get started with that mill, I mean, how do you keep it level? The first one seems tricky, you care to explain it?

maxed_out said:
Jay, I always wondered how you get started with that mill, I mean, how do you keep it level? The first one seems tricky, you care to explain it?

I true it up by sight because the logs not helping much on that first run. You can get real detailed with it but at 2-1/2 inch runs it works out easy enough. Hard to give a good answer here it would be a couple chapters long. The wide logs and thats all I do now, need to be pretty thick or they will just cup bad.

When milling the beams and boards for our sugar shack, my father and brother would use a ladder for that first run to make it consistent. Just my $.02

maxed_out said:

You can either spend around $200 & up for the Granberg Aluminum EZ Rail Mill Guide System to make your first cut,or do what Jay & I do - a straight & flat 2 x 8 or 12,8ft or longer for the mill to ride on.I've even seen people use a straight 10' section of aluminum extension ladder.Once first cut is made,you remove the slab & mill rides on the flat,true surface you just milled.So its critical that plank or whatever you used isnt warped,bowed,twisted or bent in any way,because every cut afterwards will match it if you're off.

Thistle said:
maxed_out said:

You can either spend around $200 & up for the Granberg Aluminum EZ Rail Mill Guide System to make your first cut,or do what Jay & I do - a straight & flat 2 x 8 or 12,8ft or longer for the mill to ride on.I've even seen people use a straight 10' section of aluminum extension ladder.Once first cut is made,you remove the slab & mill rides on the flat,true surface you just milled.So its critical that plank or whatever you used isnt warped,bowed,twisted or bent in any way,because every cut afterwards will match it if you're off.

Try and keep a 10ft true....lol I use 8ft now and probally try the ladder when this one warps.

smokinjay said:
Thistle said:
maxed_out said:

Try and keep a 10ft true....lol I use 8ft now and probally try the ladder when this one warps.

lol thats why I stay at 7ft max,rarely build any furniture or cabinetwork longer than 6' anyway.Low ceilings in shop for one thing.People want longer built-ins etc,they can be attached together with cleats at the back,like in kitchens

Thistle said:
smokinjay said:
Thistle said:
maxed_out said:

lol thats why I stay at 7ft max,rarely build any furniture or cabinetwork longer than 6' anyway.Low ceilings in shop for one thing.People want longer built-ins etc,they can be attached together with cleats at the back,like in kitchens

I like getting every inch I can get out of the trunk. (back feeling that 8 footer)lol

Good pics jay. Those were some very heavy boards.

mecreature said:
Good pics jay. Those were some very heavy boards.

Chris and I got them off the trailer thought I was going to blow a gasket!

go get ya an aluminum concrete strike off board.....they come in assorted lengths. I'm no milling expert, but if a ladder will work, I'm guessing this will too and its a h3ll of alot easier to haul around.

And yes, those boards sucked to get off the trailer.

Bocefus78 said:
go get ya an aluminum concrete strike off board.....they come in assorted lengths. I'm no milling expert, but if a ladder will work, I'm guessing this will too and its a h3ll of alot easier to haul around.

And yes, those boards sucked to get off the trailer.

Fricken monsters!

Bocefus78 said:

For what those aluminum screeds cost new at contractor store,cheaper to buy a new 10" ladder,or watch for a decent one on CL or a garage sale.

Thistle said:
Bocefus78 said:

For what those aluminum screeds cost new at contractor store,cheaper to buy a new 10" ladder,or watch for a decent one on CL or a garage sale.

I have ladders just much easier to grab a 2x8x8...lol

smokinjay said:
Thistle said:
Bocefus78 said:

I have ladders just much easier to grab a 2x8x8...lol

Yup.That's why I've stuck with 2 x12's for now.You can't beat "FREE",even with angle iron stiffener costing me a case of Bud. :lol: The #10 x 1" square head screws set me back fiddy cent lol

Status
Not open for further replies.