1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Milling Done Today

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by thewoodlands, Apr 21, 2012.

1. PapaDave

PapaDave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern MI - in the mitten
    zap, my brother and I built a dining table for him with 2-2 1/8" thick w. pine last year. Came out nice. I call it his Fred Flintstone table. Pretty substantial looking, and we used a double row of biscuits to join 3 pieces to make it about 40" wide, after jointing the boards. The seams are almost invisble. Almost.:cool:
    We've thought of getting those tenon cutters too.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. thewoodlands

thewoodlands Minister of Fire

Stax, we will get it done whatever thickness we go with, having the mill with plenty of wood leaves us with plenty of options.

Ray, I'm not sure how this table will be put together but my wife will like it because we buillt it with wood from our land. We milled some boards last year about 1.75 inches thick which will become the outside work table, when I'm in the woods this weekend I'll look for some legs.

I think I like the Hemlock grain over the White Pine.

zap 100_3815.JPG 100_4951.JPG
    Thistle, tfdchief and ScotO like this.
  3. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    If you hit 2-1/8 you would have had to start around 2-1/2-2-3/4 on a csm set-up. Not uncommon to make at-least a 1/8 inch bad spot with just rocking the mill one time on a board. 40" is the number wide. (for dinning table) Now 40" at the 10 foot mark is worth a whole lot o Cash! (Singal slab small end)
  4. PapaDave

Loc:
    SJ, we got the wood from the Woodworkers Shoppe south of here. Very nice slabs, but pricey....to me. If I remember right, the boards were cupping some, so we ripped 'em, then put back together after planing out the cup. Brother didn't have a clue, he just wanted a table but had no idea the amount of work involved.
    I didn't/wouldn't pay for it.:cool: He did.
    I've got a stack of 1" boards from the property that vary in thickness. Cut with a Woodmizer, but not mine.
    I'd be happy with a csm to use on the spruce and pine I have.
    Sorry for the fork in the road.
    Love the Hemlock slabs zap. Do you deliver?;lol
    SJ, would you not sticker this wood? Seems like the boards will warp if standing against a wall for a while.
  5. JoeyD

JoeyD Minister of Fire

Loc:
    South Jersey
    Zap I envy you. I have a whole woodworking shop out back that I haven't had much time to spend in for the last two years. I just recently starting to get back out there.

FWIW when ever I build something using a wide board like that I was always told it is best to rip and re-glue it back together. When drying something like that there can be a lot of stress that can cause it to crack after you bring it indoors in a climate controlled environment. Most likely after your table is built. Also when I dried fresh milled wood I would sticker it and add some weight on top to help keep it from warping and cupping. Also paint the ends with a latex paint to keep the ends from cracking.

Looking forward to seeing the finished table

Well it seems PapaDave and I agree! you beat me by 8 minutes.
  6. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.jpg
    They will cup unless you wax the ends good and then stand on end. This keeps pussure off the middle. (Big slabs need to be on end) Legs where mini milled. (From a 3 inch slab) One table took 2 slabs.
    tfdchief, ScotO and zap like this.
  7. thewoodlands

8. ScotO

ScotO Guest

Dammit zap I can see I'm gonna have to make a trip up there and spend a couple days learning the milling. We gotta plan an Adirondack GTG to cut some firewood, mill some boards and EAT SOME GOOD FOOD!
  9. thewoodlands

I see on the other site they had one for the ADK's, not sure when it was but lets skip the wood and just pig out!

zap
    ScotO likes this.
  10. thewoodlands

Just talked with our local Stihl dealer, the ripping chains for the 075,090 came in with the bar to follow on Thursday or Friday. I can meet him to pick up the 090 (drop off the truck) any day after work, hopefully on Saturday.

zap
  11. lukem

lukem Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Indiana
    Will ratchet banding the bigger ones keep them from cupping? My BIL has one and I asked him, but they've never used it on anything thicker than 5/4", so he couldn't say for sure.
  12. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    It really comes down to the weight of it. Nice big slab I would not take that chance. Now 5/4 sure but not a furniture piece.
  13. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    You are the milling God! Very Very Sweeeeeeeeeet set-up and hope someday you throw a milling gtg!
    ScotO likes this.
  14. PapaDave

Loc:
    Nice table SJ. How did you attach the legs?
  15. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    The legs are so long (Pub style) I used a heavy duty couch leg hardware, so it could be move into that little space.Or out far as that goes. lol Kitchen table leg leavels on the bottom.
  16. thewoodlands

A milling GTG up here wOOd be a bunch of guys with Wood-Mizers,==c then again that wOOd be ok.

zap
    Thistle, ScotO and smokinj like this.
  17. ScotO

ScotO Guest

I'll own me a wood-mizer someday........
    Thistle and zap like this.
  18. thewoodlands

Stax, weather permitting tomorrow the topped off Hemlock is coming down which I plan on making the coffee table out of. I settled on three inches for the thickness.

Around the corner from that is a topped off White Pine which is coming down after the Hemlock, I want a three inch slab from that which can go on the porch for a coffee table. If the wife likes the pine better than the hemlock we can switch it out.

zap
  19. Stax

Stax Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southeastern PA
    Zap. If your gonna sand after you stain and before your poly, I'd maybe go a little darker with the stain. Although I'm happy with the color of my stain, it isn't exactly what it looked like after the first time I stained.
    Farmhouse 2 Poly.jpg
    zap likes this.
  20. Stax

Stax Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southeastern PA
    Since the picture, I've sanded, re-stained and hit the wood filler spots as well. Putting another coat of poly on tonite.
  21. thewoodlands

I'll let these slabs dry this summer then part of next after that the table build will start. I do want a outside work bench which I plan on making out of our first milled boards. (1.75 inches thick)

The table looks great, for the color of the stain I'll leave that up to the boss.

zap
  22. bogydave

bogydave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    So Cent ALASKA
    Stax: Nice table

Zap, that's going to b a beautiful table. Either. Hemlock has great looking grain, the pine has curves & character

smokinj: Beautiful plank table, Walnut?

A tip to remember when finishing a table:
    Make sure you put the same coating on the top & bottom. 3 coats on the top then 3 on the bottom, 5 & 5 ... etc.
    No matter the finish used, it is not totally air tight & the moisture in the air is going to cause it to swell & shrink.
    If one side has less finish, it will swell & shrink faster than the other side & cause it to warp or dish. ;)

One of Dad's rules for drying his good wood:
    Wax or paint the ends. It will help it dry more evenly on the ends & reduce splitting on the ends.

His rule of thumb for drying hardwoods, 1" per year, 2" thick green board takes roughly 2 years to dry.
    rotate & flip the boards every 3 or 4 months.

You guys are making me miss the saw mill. :)
    zap likes this.
  23. thewoodlands

Thanks for the info bogydave, that hemlock slab is one HMF.

zp
  24. thewoodlands

I bought these last fall but since most of the stuff for the coffee table won't be ready until this fall I left them in the box. I bought three sizes, 3/4.5/8 & 2 inch.

Attached Files:

PapaDave, swagler85, smokinj and 2 others like this.
  25. ScotO

ScotO Guest

Did you buy them as a set, Zap? How much were they (if you don't mind me asking)? I'd like to get a set of those, and matching forstner bits....