Milling today and wood ID?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smokinj

Minister of Fire
Aug 11, 2008
Anderson, Indiana
Few new boards today!

Attachments

• milling 1023 resize.jpg
    milling 1023 resize.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 343
  • milling 1022 sesize.jpg
    milling 1022 sesize.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 331
  • milling resize 1021.jpg
    milling resize 1021.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 347
PA. Woodsman said:
Looks like Silver Maple and a log of Ash laying in the background?

I will let you off the hook on the ID the one where milling is shag bark hickory(boards are hickory)..Back ground is shag hickory and the 2 behind that are walnut.

Looks good. I do a little woodworking and always wondered how good these these things worked. I always buy rough cut lumber, mostly green and dry it myself. Its a lot cheaper that way and I've enjoyed may a beverage watching it dry. :) Do you sticker this stuff for drying?

JoeyD said:
Looks good. I do a little woodworking and always wondered how good these these things worked. I always buy rough cut lumber, mostly green and dry it myself. Its a lot cheaper that way and I've enjoyed may a beverage watching it dry. :) Do you sticker this stuff for drying?

yes and it is pretty smooth....I am thinking my whole shop may get a make over this winter.

cmonSTART said:
Nice! Let's dry it and build something!

I have been think of trimming my shop with black walnut 8 inch's wide, and hickory shelves with black walnut brackets and trim the front's with ash. What you think?

smokinjay said:
cmonSTART said:
Nice! Let's dry it and build something!

I have been think of trimming my shop with black walnut 8 inch's wide, and hickory shelves with black walnut brackets and trim the front's with ash. What you think?

I think a hickory and black walnut workbench would look awesome.

Heres my work bench Thought about putting a hickory top on it.

Attachments

• resize shop.jpg
    resize shop.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 279
smokinjay said:
PA. Woodsman said:

I will let you off the hook on the ID the one where milling is shag bark hickory(boards are hickory)..Back ground is shag hickory and the 2 behind that are walnut.

Looks good smokin, I take it the weather cooled off.

zap

zapny said:
smokinjay said:
PA. Woodsman said:

Looks good smokin, I take it the weather cooled off.

zap

86 today and got in the shade...

smokin, that would be cool. I see you have two stools do you get a helper or is that for a drinking buddy?

Here is one I made about 5 years ago from some rough cut rock maple and cherry. I wanted to add a couple of black walnut strips just for looks but couldn't find any that was cheap enough at the time. :blank: It shows some wear but it should outlive me.
bench1.jpg

GolfandWoodNut said:
smokin, that would be cool. I see you have two stools do you get a helper or is that for a drinking buddy?

Both and it doubles as a bar for the holiday's...Thats where everyone will wind up!

JoeyD said:
Here is one I made about 5 years ago from some rough cut rock maple and cherry. I wanted to add a couple of black walnut strips just for looks but couldn't find any that was cheap enough at the time. :blank: It shows some wear but it should outlive me.
bench1.jpg

Thats Awesome! What size walnut you need?

Thanks, :) actually since then I scored some nice 5/4 stuff that has been sitting for the last three years just waiting for the right project to come along. If you look I used some to make one of the mallets.

JoeyD said:
Thanks, :) actually since then I scored some nice 5/4 stuff that has been sitting for the last three years just waiting for the right project to come along. If you look I used some to make one of the mallets.

Thats very Slick! Oh and the Eagles has to go...lol

smokinjay said:
JoeyD said:

Go where? Dallas on February 6th 2011? :cheese:

JoeyD said:
smokinjay said:
JoeyD said:

Let me guess, Vick is ready to go to a super bowl? lol GO Blue!

smokinjay said:
JoeyD said:
smokinjay said:
JoeyD said:

Let me guess, Vick is ready to go to a super bowl? lol GO Blue!

LOL, hope he's not even here when the season starts. Never liked him never will.

Status
Not open for further replies.