Milling with a 026?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
smokinjay said:
so you would want to go bigger

lol, that seems to be common advice from you. So, are you suggesting I get the 56 and put the 5 ft bar on it? Can I run the 24" bar on the bigger mill?

SolarAndWood said:
smokinjay said:
Not really perfect but compared to a mini mill it is.

Gotcha. Any downside to the small log mill versus a bigger one other than max log size?

Downside is it's only clamped at the base of the bar, not the tip. So there's more of a chance for variation in thickness across the width of the board. Upside is you lose less bar, about 2-3" instead of I think 4-6". In fact, there's no physical limitation on bar length, just a recommended limit of 20" (24" works fine). Also, it is possible to mill larger logs from both sides with the small log mill, although it's going to leave bar marks.

I see, the bigger mills have a clamp on each of the two handles? I assume then you can adjust the outside handle to the width you need for the log?

DiscoInferno said:
SolarAndWood said:
smokinjay said:
Not really perfect but compared to a mini mill it is.

Gotcha. Any downside to the small log mill versus a bigger one other than max log size?

Downside is it's only clamped at the base of the bar, not the tip. So there's more of a chance for variation in thickness across the width of the board. Upside is you lose less bar, about 2-3" instead of I think 4-6". In fact, there's no physical limitation on bar length, just a recommended limit of 20" (24" works fine). Also, it is possible to mill larger logs from both sides with the small log mill, although it's going to leave bar marks.

Setting that board up is the bad part there is noway to really set it up for 90 degree to hold well once your saw is at the side of the wood. Much easier and fast to top the log with the Alaskan.

SolarAndWood said:
I see, the bigger mills have a clamp on each of the two handles? I assume then you can adjust the outside handle to the width you need for the log?

I dont adjust for the log its always wide open. Now if its bigger than my mill now thing get interesting.

smokinjay said:
Now if its bigger than my mill now thing get interesting.

So, do I get the 56 so that I can use the 5' bar on the big white pines at the camp or is the 95 not enough saw? Will the bigger mill be a PIA with the usual 2-3' stuff I get my hands on?

SolarAndWood said:
smokinjay said:
Now if its bigger than my mill now thing get interesting.

So, do I get the 56 so that I can use the 5' bar on the big white pines at the camp or is the 95 not enough saw? Will the bigger mill be a PIA with the usual 2-3' stuff I get my hands on?

2-3 foot stuff is a blast! MMAul and I knock a bunch out last week. Takes two people on the short stuff (880 mill max)

36 inch mill seems to be a good range and from time to time you can get more out of it.

Seems like the biggest advantage of the small log mill is single man operation. Probably isn't a big deal to stage it for when I have help though. And, the mini and small log mills are the cost of the 36 anyway.

SolarAndWood said:
Seems like the biggest advantage of the small log mill is single man operation. Probably isn't a big deal to stage it for when I have help though. And, the mini and small log mills are the cost of the 36 anyway.

I will sell you my mini...lol On the long stuff one person can handle it. Short stuff your coming off the log so quick that its nice to have someone spotting the other side and moving back to the starting point. You could do it by your self but would be a pain in the @ss on short runs.

Status
Not open for further replies.