min. chimney height?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

trailrnr

Dec 13, 2014
Michigan
Hello,

This is my first time posting here.

I just purchased a new Jotul F3 CB; My question pertains to the minunum chimney height. The owners manual states it should be at least 14' to ensure a proper draft. I live in a ranch home and prefer to not having it to far above the roof for appearance reasons. I want to install in my four season room however if I stick with the 14 ft thats going to leave at 6 to 8 ft. above the roof. My roof pitch is standard maybe 4-12.

The four season room is open to the kitchen, dining area and living room, probably 500-600 sq. ft.

My 2nd option is to install it in the living room where the roof is taller.

I will be top venting with standard double wall pipe.

Thanks in advance..

Joe in IL

PS- Until I read the owners manual I was hoping that 12 ft. would be enough.

12 ft would not provide sufficient chimney draft. The stoves are designed to operate efficiently with the 15-16 ft chimney spec in the EPA test standards. Clean burning certified stoves require a strong draft to facilitate the secondary burn technology built into them.

You are probably going to have to have at least six feet of pipe above the roof to meet the code rule that it be 2 feet taller than any structure within 10 feet of it and also at least 3 feet higher than the point at which it penetrates the roof even with a 4 in 12 pitch.

12 ft would not provide sufficient chimney draft. The stoves are designed to operate efficiently with the 15-16 ft chimney spec in the EPA test standards. Clean burning certified stoves require a strong draft to facilitate the secondary burn technology built into them.

You are probably going to have to have at least six feet of pipe above the roof to meet the code rule that it be 2 feet taller than any structure within 10 feet of it and also at least 3 feet higher than the point at which it penetrates the roof even with a 4 in 12 pitch.

Thank You for the reply;

I figured I would need about 4-6' in order to accomodate the code rule you mention above. The issue with the area I wanted to install the stove is that its only a little over 6' to the ceiling (cathedral type). In that case I need need about 8' above the roof.

That being the case I'll probably install the stove in the living room where the roof peak is a few feet higher. Maybe then I can get by with 4-6' above the roof and meet the 14' requirement.

Again, thanks for the clarifying the point!

Joe

Good plan!

Status
Not open for further replies.