Mine wood Pellets Softies

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ejectr

Minister of Fire
Nov 1, 2009
Brimfield, MA
I've burned about 15 bags of these and I find they have a LOT more ash than Okanagans. The ash is also very course. Not as light and fluffy as Okanagans.

Heat output I can only go on the amount I've used because of the ESP in my PF100. When the auger used to run for 15 seconds out of every minute with Okanagans, the auger runs for 18 seconds with these, so it appears I'm using more. So I guess that translates to less heat output.

Not very scientific, but the ash turns me off right away. I have no desire to clean my furnace more than I had to with Okanagans.

Just noticed I screwed up the title of the thread. Should have been Maine Wood Pellets Softies. Can you fix that Mr. Admin please? Would be nice if we could edit that or at least delete the post and start over.

What's the price differential in your area?

I paid $235/ton delivered. Oakies are $300/ton +. It's a no brainer for me.

Reactions: sinnian
Have you burned any of the MWP blend?

No...last year I burned straight Oakies. Figured I'd try a couple tons of the MWP softies seeing they were a tad cheaper and people were reporting good things about them. I'll be going back to straight Okies next year.

I think your just being spoiled by the Okies thats all. The ashes produced by the MWP softies are on par with most any other brand. Okies are just freaks of the pellet world as far as ash goes, I've never seen something burn so complete.

I think your just being spoiled by the Okies thats all. The ashes produced by the MWP softies are on par with most any other brand. Okies are just freaks of the pellet world as far as ash goes, I've never seen something burn so complete.
May be right, but as long as I can have the choice, I know what that choice will be. As far as the MWP softies are concerned.....been there...done that.

I'm in the same boat - spoiled. I started my pellet burning last year with Lacretes. I mixed in a few bags of other pellets here and there but Lacretes were my main stash and my first impression of how hot pellets burn, ash, etc. This year I am burning MWP blend ($120 less per ton in my area) in shoulder season and am amazed by the large amount of ash. I also recall the stove burning hotter last year Spoiled by Lacretes.

You are comparing apples and oranges, I do not think anyone on this site that I have read has ever stated that the MWP Blend or Softies would replace Okies or any other high end pellet. I think most are using these as shoulder pellets. As Subsailor said at least in Maine the price difference makes this an easy call.

Definately apples and oranges. I like oranges more but apples are MUCH cheaper here in Maine - so apples it is. Afterall, economics is a big part of the reason we burn pellets. Its not because it is easier than oil heat.

the only reason i have any softies at all, is i got the mwps for $235 a ton.
if they are much more than that next spring when i resupply, i will just keep burning the blend all year every year.
i have no big box stores in range and no truck either.
the fact that i can get the mwps delivered for cheaper than anything offered in town will keep steve at SIB coming up here every year with my mwps.
be they blend or softies.
spent last winter in a tee shirt and bare feet when inside.
no worries at all.

You are comparing apples and oranges, I do not think anyone on this site that I have read has ever stated that the MWP Blend or Softies would replace Okies or any other high end pellet. I think most are using these as shoulder pellets. As Subsailor said at least in Maine the price difference makes this an easy call.
I'm not comparing anything. I just stated a fact that MWP has more ash and I don't care for that and we all don't have the same reasons for burning wood pellets. I happen to like the economic reasons, but I don't like the maintenance reasons, but I put up with it to get the economic reasons. That doesn't mean I want to burn a lesser quality pellet so I can do more maintenance. Case closed.

Reactions: The Village Idiot
I'm not comparing anything. I just stated a fact that MWP has more ash and I don't care for that and we all don't have the same reasons for burning wood pellets. I happen to like the economic reasons, but I don't like the maintenance reasons, but I put up with it to get the economic reasons. That doesn't mean I want to burn a lesser quality pellet so I can do more maintenance. Case closed.

yea, some like them, some dont.....they arent Oakies, but well, any port in a storm, I guess. More ash means more cleaning, pure and simple.

I'd really like to try some Oakies. Last year, I burned a ton of Vermonts which are suppose to be comparable to the Oakies. They produced very little ash and made cleaning a breeze. I also burned a ton of Barefoots and felt that they produced about the same heat with quite a bit more ash.

This time around I'm trying LG and Cubex. I like the idea of having both softwood and hardwood in my stash.

I'd really like to try some Oakies. Last year, I burned a ton of Vermonts which are suppose to be comparable to the Oakies. They produced very little ash and made cleaning a breeze. I also burned a ton of Barefoots and felt that they produced about the same heat with quite a bit more ash.

This time around I'm trying LG and Cubex. I like the idea of having both softwood and hardwood in my stash.

Lets hope your cubex are good and not like last year's batch. Holy ash! all I can say..

When the auger used to run for 15 seconds out of every minute with Okanagans, the auger runs for 18 seconds with these, so it appears I'm using more. So I guess that translates to less heat output.

I think what you are seeing is a density issue, the bag is 40 lb and have more bulk. I have found that MWP blend or soft are less dense than any other pellet I have burned.
One thing to remember is ash is rated by weight, volume is not really considered.

I think what you are seeing is a density issue, the bag is 40 lb and have more bulk. I have found that MWP blend or soft are less dense than any other pellet I have burned.
One thing to remember is ash is rated by weight, volume is not really considered.
The ash is a LOT deeper and heavier than after burning the same quantity of Okanagans. And it is all over everything inside the burn chamber as well. The baffles are covered, the accordian heat exchanger is covered, the walls, the door the roof. It's a freekin mess.

I am cheap. So I'll stick to my MWP. Did I mention that I am cheap?
I don't mind the 5 min brush down every 3rd day. I don't go to work everyday, so I have to be on the cheap.

Hey..to each their own. What works for one, doesn't necessarily work for all. Everyone does what they gotta do.

The ash is a LOT deeper and heavier than after burning the same quantity of Okanagans. And it is all over everything inside the burn chamber as well. The baffles are covered, the accordian heat exchanger is covered, the walls, the door the roof. It's a freekin mess.

Your stove does not like them, mine seems to handle them better than yours. The half dozen or so brands I have burned so far have not given me any issues except LG Granules, lots of soot sticking on my TC cover.

I paid $235 delivered for softies, my local dealer wants $330 for Okies, plus delivery, no way.

Your stove does not like them, mine seems to handle them better than yours. The half dozen or so brands I have burned so far have not given me any issues except LG Granules, lots of soot sticking on my TC cover.

I paid $235 delivered for softies, my local dealer wants $330 for Okies, plus delivery, no way.
Glad to hear they work for you. I' won't be buying them again.

Yeah I bought a ton of the Softies from Sibs at $249 delivered - They're okay. The ash isn't as much as a hardwood, but they're still dirtier than the Canadian Softwoods I've been liking (La Crete's and Okies). I'm not sure they are as hot, but it hasn't been cold enough to go full bore.

As an aside, I just bought 1/2 ton of LG's (canadian softwoods) to burn so that I can compare.

Status
Not open for further replies.