1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Mini Holz

Post in 'The Inglenook' started by wahoowad, Jan 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wahoowad

wahoowad Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Virginia
    I decided to make a holz hausen today out of some unstacked splits. It is pretty pathetic both in size and quality. I knew I didn't have a large quantity of splits available so I started with a smallish base. I'd say it is no more than 4' in diameter. I did put it in the upper yard in case any neighbors recognize it for what it is.

I think one this size made it harder as there wasn't as much space on the inner diameter to rest the inner end of the split. It made my inner portion grow taller faster and I had to keep adding sidways splits along the outer circumference to keep the right angle. I am a bit dissapointed in my results but at least I got the wood stacked somehow!

Attached Files:

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Roospike

Roospike New Member

Loc:
    Eastern Nebraska
    very nice .............. its not the size that counts ;-)
  3. kevinmoelk

kevinmoelk New Member

Loc:
    Wapato WA, in the Yakima Valley of Central WA
    Nice Holz....

(eyes are wandering to the left of the screen.... Stop that wrench! (slapping myself))

:)

-Kevin
  4. adrpga498

adrpga498 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    New Jersey
    Good job.
    Good use of small amount of wood in a small space. You will find making a larger Holz will be a bit easier due to side pressure to aid in verticle support.
  5. wahoowad

Loc:
    Virginia
    The holz is adding a lot of ambiance to the yard already...

Attached Files:

6. adrpga498

adrpga498 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    New Jersey
    You may soon find birds and squirles making a rest stop there.
  7. wahoowad

Loc:
    Virginia
    Look at the top of my last pic! That squirrel probably thinks he has a vault to store his nuts!
  8. Mo Heat

Mo Heat Mod Emeritus

Loc:
    St. Louis, Missouri
    That's cute. Kind of like a wood Pagoda. Looks like about 1/3 of a cord. It's amazing how much wood is consumed building a holz.

You almost have to put something next to a holz in a photo or it's hard to figure out just how big they really are.

I agree that a bigger one is easier to stack regarding the use of horizontal spacers to maintain the downward and inward orientation of the bottom rows. You also get a feel for how to stack without using those horizontal pieces on your first one. I managed to avoid using them completely building my second holz.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.