Mini Holz

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wahoowad

Minister of Fire
Dec 19, 2005
Virginia
I decided to make a holz hausen today out of some unstacked splits. It is pretty pathetic both in size and quality. I knew I didn't have a large quantity of splits available so I started with a smallish base. I'd say it is no more than 4' in diameter. I did put it in the upper yard in case any neighbors recognize it for what it is.

I think one this size made it harder as there wasn't as much space on the inner diameter to rest the inner end of the split. It made my inner portion grow taller faster and I had to keep adding sidways splits along the outer circumference to keep the right angle. I am a bit dissapointed in my results but at least I got the wood stacked somehow!

Attachments

• holzpost.jpg
    holzpost.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 759
Good job.
Good use of small amount of wood in a small space. You will find making a larger Holz will be a bit easier due to side pressure to aid in verticle support.

The holz is adding a lot of ambiance to the yard already...

Attachments

• holzsquirrel.jpg
    holzsquirrel.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 609
wahoowad said:
The holz is adding a lot of ambiance to the yard already...

You may soon find birds and squirles making a rest stop there.

Look at the top of my last pic! That squirrel probably thinks he has a vault to store his nuts!

That's cute. Kind of like a wood Pagoda. Looks like about 1/3 of a cord. It's amazing how much wood is consumed building a holz.

You almost have to put something next to a holz in a photo or it's hard to figure out just how big they really are.

I agree that a bigger one is easier to stack regarding the use of horizontal spacers to maintain the downward and inward orientation of the bottom rows. You also get a feel for how to stack without using those horizontal pieces on your first one. I managed to avoid using them completely building my second holz.

Status
Not open for further replies.