Mini-Hydro?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

maple1

Minister of Fire
Sep 15, 2011
Nova Scotia
Anyone have a hydro setup? I looked back a half dozen pages & didn't see anything. We've got a good sized brook with quite a bit of elevation drop on the property here, and some wheels in my head are starting to turn.

Links to other info would be great too.

What's your electric rate? I know after talking with a hydro guy from PSNH I stopped thinking about it. You end up needing such a large turbine relative to the flow that it isn't cost-effective.

It makes sense if you happen to have your own site work company and plan on stocking your own man-made lake. Ah, to dream.

Last bill was at $0.1207/kWh (CDN).

How does that compare to others?

I have done no research until this - just looking at all that water rushing down & by and thinking that is a big waste of energy. Same thing when the oil burner comes on in the summer to heat our DHW, and it's a sunny 25°c out. I know I will have some solar collectors in the near future - was hoping to guage the chance of hydro by seeing if/what others have done.

I'll have to try to get back there & snap a pic of the spot that's got me thinking about this.

I'm at about .18kw/h. Self-generation would be great for me, but I'm a hole so wind is out. I'm covered by trees so solar would be a groan. There's a dam with 60' of head in my backyard, but I don't think the local water works would appreciate me stringing poles across their property to get some juice.

Status
Not open for further replies.