Mini Rogers???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

David_Bod

Aug 31, 2013
Southern NH, USA
Greetings...First post on this forum, and I may be utterly insane, but here's my wish....
I live in a very small single-wide trailer in southern NH. Heat is currently an oil furnace, but when power goes out in winter, no other source is available.
When I was growing up, my parents had a Franklin Stove that I got quite good at working with...looking around on the net, I finally found a picture of the model (Didn't realize there were SO many, even called "Franklin Stove" Apparently, the model my parents had was the S. L. Rogers, patented in 1965.
However, this stove is much too large for my small abode..I'd like to find a smaller version of it...
Things I liked about the Rogers...
Slidable Vents in the doors allowed me to light kindling, close doors, open vents, and airflow would quickly ignite logs, for a quick warmup on cold nights.
Damper could be micro-adjusted, so maximum heat was pushed into room, but not smoke. (pull it out until you saw smoke curling out, then push it back in a bit)
My trailer has a "extension" in the living room area, I'm hoping to place the stove in a corner, and run the stovepipe out a window that has been re-purposed for the stovepipe (and airconditioning vent during the summer from a stand-alone AC unit.)
In the second picture, the AC unit shown has been removed, and the whole window has been filled in with concreteboard, with a hole made in the center for the stovepipe to come through (8 inch clearance on all sides)

Any ideas, comments, criticisms??

Attachments

• Franklin Stove - Rogers, 1965 - US3213846.pdf
    167.6 KB · Views: 359
  • IMAG0232.jpg
    IMAG0232.jpg
    273.7 KB · Views: 137
The first thing you need to address is what your insurance company will sign off on. Many years ago HUD developed requirements for wood stoves installed in manufactured housing. And none of the old stoves come even close to meeting the requirements.

Welcome to the forum. Lotta good folks and advice here. Sometimes it isn't what you want to hear, but it is solid advice with your safety in mind.

Reactions: WellSeasoned
Mfr homes require: (in pa)

●Heat shields
●dbl wall stovepipe
●stove mounted to floor
●stove grounded to chasis
●spark arrester on cap
●outside air kit

I'll let BWS explain wood specifications...:)

Ya...Specs I've found so far are kinda Sketchy from the FD, I've looked at what several neighbors have (we're in a trailer park that's no longer managed.)
I'd already decided to do
●Heat shields
●dbl wall stovepipe
●stove mounted to floor
●stove grounded to chasis
●spark arrester on cap
but wasn't really interested in adding a
●outside air kit
But I'll do it if necessary...

I'm not going to use this as primary heat, but an occasional fire on a rainy day, or when power goes out.

I also liked the flat top, which one could heat soup on if needed...and you could hang a grill in it to cook on.

Really looking for a survival stove....

I recall one Christmas in my parent's "cottage" having a problem all week...we lived on a circle that bounded a lake on one end (ours), (we were big on sailboat racing on that lake) somewhat out in the boonies...Some hunters came around looking for game, didn't find any, so proceeded to use all the transformers on the circle for target practice. We were without power for a week, along with an ice storm that made everything even more interesting, but with canned goods, coolers filled with outside ice, the Franklin Stove and two Perfection Kerosene heaters (tubular, circular wick, flat top), we were still able to pull off Christmas dinner for 12..

Last edited:
Hmmm, no new responses in a while...I'm wondering if I need to repost this in another forum..

I'm not necessarily particular to an old stove, a new design would be OK, I just liked the air vanes on the front of the style mentioned above, and the flat warming surface on top. The Smith also had hooks for a small grill, which one could cook a quick steak on.

Any modern stoves that y'all can recommend that have these things, and yet is pretty compact?

Status
Not open for further replies.