1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Mini-Split heating/cooling units

Post in 'The Green Room' started by fossil, Aug 24, 2012.

1. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    This is a tangent better addressed in the DIY section. Can you pick it up there?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. RustyShackleford

RustyShackleford Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NC
    Done.
  3. begreen

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Thanks. Hopefully that will get some electrician's eyeballs on it.
  4. hilbiliarkiboi

hilbiliarkiboi Member

Loc:
    HotSprings NatlPark
    I have been in the drywall business for over 40 years, and alot of our business is rework/refresh/remodel.
    @ 6'2" I allways got the ceiling work - dis/reassembling alot of fixtures- and learned at a very young age that the light does not have to be on for power to be present in the box. That said, I have been shocked well over a hundred times with 15/20 amps. It's used to be kinda funny, but in my old age I can hurt myself trying to get away from it.

IMPROPER INSTALATION OF 240V @ 60 AMPS IS DEADLY.

Just sayin' I do alot of my owm electrical work, and I would do the grounded subpanel jusr to keep it from having to be redone in the future.
    All that for $a . 02
  5. begreen

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
  6. Dunragit

Dunragit Member

Loc:
    OK
    that is a beautiful house
  7. jjs777_fzr

jjs777_fzr Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    NorthShore, MA USA
    I have nothing but good things to say about the mini-split AC. This one is by United Refrigeration. It is AC only no heat pump although my remote would be the same for both.
    I installed this in my 'sun room' which is the SW side of the house. It think it is a 9k BTU unit which is able to cool both my sun room it is located and the adjacent dining room - about 700sq/ft.
    My AC guy (friend of a friend) picked up the components and I installed and ran the electrical and lineset. When he arrived he made the final connections. I think I got everything at the time for under $1200 including install but that was about 6 years ago when I built my addition.
    Gone are the days of lifting 1980's 200lb window AC units. Actually I think it started out as 120lb ac window ac units but as I aged so did the weight increase on the window units.
    The quiet factor is what I enjoy - both inside and outside units are whisper quiet.
    I've measured the temperature drop to be between 18-25 degrees as shot with the centech ir temp gun as the air exits the unit. I think thats right where it should be.
    I used a 2" pvc pipe from the back of the indoor unit to protect the drainage line routed outside.

Had I been educated about these things I would have opted for one of the multi-zone units - where a single outdoor compressor can feed up to four indoor units - now thats slick.

Edit - oh and behind the tv and ac is the stairway to my upstairs - so that's where I have stored over 1ton of wood bricks, over 1 ton of pellets and my wifes xmas presents for the kids. It's a wok in progress...I want to build a swing out bookcase of sorts to house my hifi system and still allow access to my stash :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]