Mini-Split heating/cooling units

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why ? This is a big issue for me, because I want to add a mini-split for an addition. I'd put the compressor (outdoor unit) near the compressor for my existing heat-pump, which is on a 60-amp circuit (from an old inefficient HVAC) but has only 35-amp labeling and 16 amps running current. So the 12,000 btu/hr mini-split I'm looking at (20-amp breaker and 5.5 amp RLA) could EASILY live on the same circuit. I hate to run another circuit, because it's far from the breaker box and I'm short on spare slots. When the heat-pump dies (it's 15 years old and only 11 SEER) I'd add a second mini-split and that'd handle my whole house, hopefully. If it really MUST be on a separate circuit, I suppose I could run a sub-panel off the 60-amp circuit.

This is a tangent better addressed in the DIY section. Can you pick it up there?

Thanks. Hopefully that will get some electrician's eyeballs on it.

I have been in the drywall business for over 40 years, and alot of our business is rework/refresh/remodel.
@ 6'2" I allways got the ceiling work - dis/reassembling alot of fixtures- and learned at a very young age that the light does not have to be on for power to be present in the box. That said, I have been shocked well over a hundred times with 15/20 amps. It's used to be kinda funny, but in my old age I can hurt myself trying to get away from it.

IMPROPER INSTALATION OF 240V @ 60 AMPS IS DEADLY.

Just sayin' I do alot of my owm electrical work, and I would do the grounded subpanel jusr to keep it from having to be redone in the future.
All that for $a . 02

Pic of the west face of the building where the one-room guest apartment is (second floor). The offending windows are the high three. In mid-summer when the sun gets down to where it can blast right in through those windows, that room can get to be really way too hot to be comfortable, and then stay that way right up through an average bedtime. Not good. <> Over in the house, my bedroom is similarly configured and situated, and has the same problem. Rick

View attachment 72576

that is a beautiful house

I have nothing but good things to say about the mini-split AC. This one is by United Refrigeration. It is AC only no heat pump although my remote would be the same for both.
I installed this in my 'sun room' which is the SW side of the house. It think it is a 9k BTU unit which is able to cool both my sun room it is located and the adjacent dining room - about 700sq/ft.
My AC guy (friend of a friend) picked up the components and I installed and ran the electrical and lineset. When he arrived he made the final connections. I think I got everything at the time for under $1200 including install but that was about 6 years ago when I built my addition.
Gone are the days of lifting 1980's 200lb window AC units. Actually I think it started out as 120lb ac window ac units but as I aged so did the weight increase on the window units.
The quiet factor is what I enjoy - both inside and outside units are whisper quiet.
I've measured the temperature drop to be between 18-25 degrees as shot with the centech ir temp gun as the air exits the unit. I think thats right where it should be.
I used a 2" pvc pipe from the back of the indoor unit to protect the drainage line routed outside.

Had I been educated about these things I would have opted for one of the multi-zone units - where a single outdoor compressor can feed up to four indoor units - now thats slick.

Edit - oh and behind the tv and ac is the stairway to my upstairs - so that's where I have stored over 1ton of wood bricks, over 1 ton of pellets and my wifes xmas presents for the kids. It's a wok in progress...I want to build a swing out bookcase of sorts to house my hifi system and still allow access to my stash :)

Status
Not open for further replies.