Minimizing smoke on loading Tarm

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rory

Jan 10, 2009
Central Me
While I love my Tarm, the smoke issue when loading is a real disappointment, magnified by the fact that my wife has a real sensitivity to smoke and I am trying to avoid it. I typically open the bypass damper for a bit, then crack open the firebox door and wait 10 or 20 seconds, then open up. Depending on conditions, I may get a significant smoke rollout as I start loading wood. I'm dealing with it by opening a window and door on opposite sides of the Tarm, but I'll probably install a hood and power vent it outside as a summer project. I really wish the Innova had come out before I bought my Solo.

I've seen some obtuse references to minimizing the smoke rollout, any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Just about the only time I get smoke is when I load before the prior load has burned down to low coals, which is what the manual recommends. Other than that, you may have a draft issue. Opening a window should help. I find that smoke is more likely as the outside weather warms, which usually results in reduced draft.

I very rarely have any smoke come out of the wood box while loading. I make sure to have the fan on and open the bypass damper and wait just a few seconds before I open the door slowly. I'm able to leave the door open while loading the wood box with out it smoking. The only time I get a bit of smoke is if the fan has shut off and the wood has been sitting without burning, but as long as I make sure the fan is on when I open the damper it takes care of that.

It sounds like a draft issue to me. Either you're not pulling enough draft or possibly there is a leak around the clean out door.

I love my Tarm solo 40 too. I've found if you only crack the door a few inches to see what's going on you can reduce the amount of smoke coming into the room. Another trick is to light the fire and leave the door closed for the duration of the burn. My proceedure, paper several sheets crumpled up, dry kindling cedar works real good, smaller splits on top of that, bigger splits on top of that. Light it from above or from below through the nozzle. Close the top door, leave the bottom door open for about 5 minutes or until a crackling fire is apparent. Close bottom door and close bypass damper in that order, look for the gasifier glow in your viewing port. Go away to you job or what ever your interests are. boy this is some good coffee, gettin wordy. Sweetheat :)

About the only time I get any smoke back is if I screw up and open the door before I should. Most of the time if the fan isn't running and I'm up to temp I just walk away and come back later. If I am leaving or going to bed and know it will need wood before I can get to it again I'll turn up the fan and give it a minute, (if the fan isn't maxed out) if it is maxed out I open the damper and open the bottom door for a minute till the fire starts drawing again. Maybe I just have a good draft but if you open the door when idle with wood in the box and you don't get it burning 1st you are going to get some smoke. At least this is what I have experienced with my Tarm.

Well, I have an indoor chimney going up through three stories exiting well above the roof, so draft shouldn't be a problem. VtRv seems to be saying he leaves the fan on, which is contrary to what my manual says and what I've been doing. I may give that a try tonight.

One thing that I do is to adjust the secondary air lever all the way to the right, when opening just the loading door. I usually get more smoke when the lever is more to the left (more secondary air) pushing air up through the coals and wood.

I leave my fan on for a while after I open my damper but turn it off before I open the door. Not sure if maybe that is what VtRv means.

I also put the fan on prior to opening the door but turn it off when I open it. When I open the door I open it a crack to get the smoke going in the right direction then I've found I can open it all the way. I usually purposely leave the fan control just below max so that I can manually turn on the fan. Occasionally I'll turn it all the way up before I go to bed but I haven't found that it makes much difference when it comes to maxing out my storage temp.

Status
Not open for further replies.