Minimum Chimney height in Denver for good draft

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

washford

Nov 28, 2006
Greetings, great web site. I have a wood burning stove and I suffer from smoke exiting into the house when the door is opened to add wood. The stove is a Rais "Classic" 86. This is a cute little 20,500 btu stove. The current chimney totals about 10.5 feet. 5 feet single wall inside and 5.5 feet double wall outside. The house is a low pitched roof ranch so this is enough for the 2 in 10 ft rule. Researching the stove, I found out the mfg recommends 10 ft minimum. I suspect this is at sealevel and of course in the mile high city we are 5280 ft above sea level.

Is the chimney to short? Could this cause the puff back? What is the minimum total height typically recommended in Denver? I don't mind adding another insulated section to the chimney and I might do it just to try but should I go with 2 ft or 3 ft?

Thanks in advance, any advice is welcome.

Bill in Denver

1st Is is 6 or 8" ?
When was the last time it was cleaned ?
Is there a spark arrestor at the top and is it clean?
Has it always done this? or is this a new stove?

14' minimum at a mile high, 15 is better, 16 is perfect if you dont mind seeing that much pipe sticking up. 10' would not work well even if that stove was installed in a tent.

Thanks for the response. So I need another 3.5 to 4 ft! that means 9ish feet above the roof! So I better get support/guy lines for when the wind blows!

Does the official chimney measurement begin the top of the stove or the bottom of the fire box?

Also the mfg says above 0.06 wc/16 pascals for draft pressure, does this hold true for 5000 ft altitude?

Thanks again

yes, .06 holds true.
Dont use guy wires. use conduit. You want somehting stiff up there. Your chimney manufactur probably makes one or there easy to make yourself. I count the chimney starting at the connector at the top of the stove.
For a chimney that tall on the exterior, consider building a chase around it. It will improve draft and make it much easier to clean. Those sections dont come apart very easy once they have some creosote froze in the joints.

Status
Not open for further replies.