MINIMUM CLEARANCE QUESTION

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

plenzlerjm

Dec 17, 2011
Maryland
Hey, I'm having a Vermont Castings Encore installed in my home. It is being vented to an old chimney that will be lined with stainless 6" pipe and filled with Thermix.

I have a question about minimum clearances to combustibles.

The manufacturer's specs say that the distance behind the stove to a protected surface should be 15". I figure that with the 17" wide chimney brick, I'll be OK, but will need to build a heat shield on each side of it out of 1/2" brick clad Durock w/ a 1" air gap.

I intend on building built-in book shelves along the wall that has the chimney.

The specs say that the side clearance to an unprotected surface is 17".

My question is, HOW WIDE should I make the heat shields, and how TALL?

My initial take is to draw a 17" arc off the back corner of the stove and make the heat shields as wide as where the arc transects the line parallel to the edge of the chimney.

Any advice is much appreciated!

Attachments

• VC manual page.jpg
    VC manual page.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 219
  • VC manual page 2.jpg
    VC manual page 2.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 200
  • VC manual page 3.jpg
    VC manual page 3.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 192
  • VC manual page 4.jpg
    VC manual page 4.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 186
  • VC manual page 5.jpg
    VC manual page 5.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 181
Some photos of the installation location would really help knowledgeable folks here in trying to provide informed opinions/suggestions. Rick

fossil said:
Some photos of the installation location would really help knowledgeable folks here in trying to provide informed opinions/suggestions. Rick

Rick, Here's a photo. The purple insulation board on the hearth pad marks where the stove will go. You can see where I'm starting to frame in the shelves on the left. Many thanks!!!

Attachments

• Stove.jpg
    Stove.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 137
Status
Not open for further replies.