minimum clearance requirement necessary for getting town permit

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ba_jie

Oct 8, 2008
yet another question,
Does anyone know that meeting minimum clearance requirement is required to pass the town inspection?
what are the things they look for?
My stove is some inches short of some minimum requirements...

What's the stove? What are the manufacturer's clearance requirements? Is this a new installation, or an existing installation? What are your clearances, and what's restricting you from meeting the requirements? You do understand, do you not, that the clearance requirements are what they are for your personal safety. Clearance from combustibles for a woodburning appliance isn't something you want to "cheat" on, even if you can get away with it. You might lose in the end, big time. You're not giving us much to go on, here...we really would like to help you, but we need a whole lot more information. In the end, your local Authority Having Jurisdiction (AHJ)...Town Inspector, Fire Marshall, Whatever, will have the final say. We can facilitate your success if you will fully disclose to us the situation. Pictures are always very helpful. Rick

Hi, Rick,
Thanks. I am installing a jotul 450 that has the minimum requirement of 44" between the centerline to sidewall.
My case is that i have a built-in TV cabinet that's only 34" to the stove centerline. If the TV cabinet can be treated as a sidewall, then my installation will not meet the 44" requirement. I didn't think it's a big deal at first until i realize that the the installtion may fail the town inspection. On the other hand, i don't like installing a shield...

Thanks again.

So far as I can tell from looking at the manual online, the manufacturer's requirement is 44 1/4" from insert centerline to the nearest combustible material to the side. We're not talking about trying to sneak something past your town inspector here, we're talking about stoking up a big fire in your house and not burning it down with you in it. Those clearances must be met or appropriate shielding must be installed to ensure your family's safety. Rick

either that or cut the first 10" off the inspectors tape measure. (just kidding)
but in all seriousness the clearances should be met.

Some inspectors will casually eye your set up, collect your money, and sign the permit. Others are more careful.

My inspector told me upfront that he would just follow the manual and then use common sense for anything not addressed in the manual. After the contractor lined the chimney, the inspector made him take the liner out and insulate it. Although I have no before and after, I burned about 3.5 cords of wood last season and only had 3 or 4 handfuls of stage 1 creosote for a 20 odd foot flue.

I sleep better at night anyway.

JIE - whether or not your inspector would pass that install is probably not the big issue here. Not meeting the clearance to combusibles IS. Your safety is number 1. Inspection or no inspection, your configuration is not meeting the clearances. Its simply not a risk that I would be willing to take.

Status
Not open for further replies.