minimum generator size to run just the stove.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

St_Earl

Minister of Fire
Sep 9, 2011
millinocket, maine
what is the minimum generator size/capacity to run just the stove?

i read all the generator threads and couldn't quite tell the answer to this question.
i'm looking at one of the smaller inverter gennys like the generac. and perhaps the englander cp10 or heatilator ps50 as the stove.

i suppose the only extra thing i would like headroom for would be the one pc and modem. but even that is not my primary concern
i figure it would be cold enough if i needed the genny that running the fridge would not be an issue.
and we are willing to use candles and lanterns for lights in exchange for getting a high quality but inexpensive generator that consumes less fuel.

A small Honda with the additional fuel tank setup will do the deed nicely(you'll need under 800 watts and most of that will be at startup to operate the igniter).

As for that refrigerator situation one might want to reconsider, but that is just me.

thanks, smokey.
that's exactly what i needed to know.
we have an enclosed porch and with a cooler, i think we will be ok regarding food storage.
it's just the two of us and we don't usually have a lot of items in the fridge anyway.
that power range is going to make my wallet a lot less traumatized then i thought it would be.
i'll even be able to afford some overhead.

*yeah. it's easier to google what it takes to run a fridge. seems like that would push me past the 2000 watt mark with the stove running too.
looking at a few 1600 watters that will give me some headroom for lights and the computer and still keep me comfortably under $500.

My Quad is the only stove I have used the Kill-a-Watt Meter on. Under 600 watts for start-up. If your going to let your stove run continuous (No ignitor needed), then it will be much less. The Quad on its Low heat setting is about 70 watts (68 is what I remember, that's when its feeding/auger on/ a little less than that when auger is off/60 watts). Make sure its Pure Sine Wave that gets to the stove. Very delicate electronics (think PC). But with the research you said you have done on the UPS/Generator systems. It sounds like you got your whole system about wrapped up. Now, just need the stove decision???

I wish I had found this site years ago before my purchase. This place gives many a huge head start into the world of Pellets. Many get into thinking you just fill the hopper and your good for forever. The cleaning and maintenance is a huge part of it.

Also, make sure to get a good surge protector. I'm sure you read about that in your searches also.

ok. since i have only been dealing with talking about stoves, and don't have one yet, i guess i need to ask if the option of turning the igniter off is a feature of both the quad (or ps50) and the cp10.
that means lighting it with a torch? i have one of those. :)
i had read about the startup surge being the biggest load.

if that is the case, i may look at the generac 800watt inverter unit.
the hundreds add up fast when buying an older home.
i suppose i could drop for the 1600 and sleep more soundly.
but this leads me to another question about the igniter. is it common for the fire to need reigniting after it's going?
if it's going to burn all night w/o going out, i would opt for the continuous mode in emergencies.

St_Earl said:
what is the minimum generator size/capacity to run just the stove?

i read all the generator threads and couldn't quite tell the answer to this question.
i'm looking at one of the smaller inverter gennys like the generac. and perhaps the englander cp10 or heatilator ps50 as the stove.

i suppose the only extra thing i would like headroom for would be the one pc and modem. but even that is not my primary concern
i figure it would be cold enough if i needed the genny that running the fridge would not be an issue.
and we are willing to use candles and lanterns for lights in exchange for getting a high quality but inexpensive generator that consumes less fuel.
this could be a more affordable option for a generator
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200419023_200419023?issearch=166112

yeah. that also answers a question i wasn't asking and couldn't exactly pin down by reading the other genny threads. the clean power issue.
i think the generacs and other "inverter "gennys of the kind i had mentioned have a 3% thd rating as compared to the 5% on that one. i'm guessing that is well within tolerance though.
thanks for that link. more than three times the power for the same cost.

i'm still thinking about fuel consumption though. and i imagine that hauling that out of the basement and through the snow would be a little less fun on a cold maine night than an easily hand carried unit.
the smaller ones also have the low power settings that further decrease noise. well. that one does too. but just being a 200cc engine is going to change the noise level considerably.
hmmm.

i think i may just put "thank you" as my signature here.

You will find if running a stove that is only On/Off is not hard to run continuous (24/7). The shoulder season is the only time I use the thermo and let the stove shut down and restart. Even then, I try and adjust the feed rate and blower speed to make it a good temp in the house. Other than that for about 3 months, the stove runs constant (other than the weekly/biweekly cleaning).

Also running 24/7 provides a more even temp throughout the house. My Ranch is 70 ft long and the temp never varies more than 2-3* throughout the entire home. My stove is centrally located and we run several ceiling fans on low/reverse and have a couple Interior Corner doorway fans.

To answer your question. I am sure I can light my stove manually. Quads and Heatilator depend on a thermpcouple to recognize ignition. I do not know about the removing of the ignitor though.
But if my ignitor were to fail. I could definitely get my stove lit and the thermocouple to sense the heat and kick on the auger. In the allowed amount of time. Pretty sure Englanders are the same way (minus the thermocouple). Englanders until 04 (I think 04) were all without ignitors. My 25-PDV is a 96 model. Old school. Has knobs and dials. No digital buttons or boards. Pretty much all manual. But its a Beast!! Whether you use a torch or starting gel (I use Hand sanitizer/Purell) its not hard to get them going.

i see. sounds like just let the igniter start up and then go to continuous. (or continuous already still uses the igniter. just doesn't shut down)
i could still get by with an 800watter then. and just turn the computer on once the stove is lit.

as of now. i think my decision is between the 800w and 1600 watt options. it's about $125 difference. i really don't think i'd need more than the 800w though.

ok. now what if i want the small genny to be my only back up?
we are homebodies and basically retired. so in most cases, we will be home or the stove won't be running while we are away for trips.
i think that alleviates some of the reason for battery back up.
i suppose waking up cold if the power outage happens during our being asleep would be a result of not having batteries.
certainly not the end of the world though.

i vaguely remember reading something about preventing smoke from entering the house during power loss.
but i'm having a hard time imagining why that would happen anyway if the venting is proper with adequate rise and draw.

i don't absolutely need battery back up is what i'm thinking.
am i wrong?

You are not wrong in thinking that. I would say very few people on here have a Battery back-up.

The Smoke entering the house can be a problem with any set-up. But becomes very less likely if you have at least 3-4' of Vertical rise (must have this if you get the Englander) and if you have an OAK.

No Oak and a direct vent is more likely. But still may or may not happen

Are you on city water??? If not, well pump is a big amp draw when it starts.

city water. we turned away from several nice houses that had wells and septic tanks.
and the property taxes in millinocket are absurdly low compared to other places we've lived.
we got the house for less than a lot of new cars. still passed professional inspection with great results.
a new (metal) roof and vinyl siding are in it's near future. as well as a foot of new insulation in the attic where there is only 2" of cellulose at present.
it has storms all around and two enclosed porches. the basement/foundation are a beautiful sight as well excellent condition and bone dry. chimney as well is great.
funny. the oil furnace is in really good shape too. a little old. new in '94.
but i have feeling it's not going to be getting much more wear and tear.

i notice lots of mainers here on the board.
we are brand new residents though.

Once the mills open, your home will increase in value.

exactly. i hear there is a new owner for the mill.
more byproduct for making pellets too!

After going without power after Hurricane Irene this past week for 5 days my Honda 1000 Watt Generator was powering the fridge, some lights and the home internet/phone. I can assure you I had plenty of power to run the fridge it was only sucking up 200-300 Watts at max. There is a time though when the fridge cycled to the defrost mode where the freezer heats up the sides and pushes the generator to 700 Watts, As for a pellet stove it won't run much more then 100-150 watts at normal operation. It ran 24/7 for pretty much 5 days straight with frequent refueling since I didn't have an extra fuel tank attached. My only suggestion would to have more room for growth I would go up to the 2000 Watt generator. Then you can feel more comfortable with the power consumption and peaks.

I would suggest buying a generator with a cruising wattage (not the maximum surge wattage) of 20% more than you would conceivably need. It's not good for the generator or electrical devices if the genny is maxed out. Also make sure you have a very good extension cord if you plan on running things branched off of one cord.

If it were me, I'd be looking at a 2000 watt unit. Don't want to hook something up and fry it because you don't have enough juice there. 2000 watts of power can be used up pretty quick and the 125 buck difference will be paid now but you'll be set for the life of the unit which very well could be 30 plus years if well maintained. You'd loose a lot more than 125 selling a smaller unit used and then going back to buy a bigger one.

My neighbor has a 2000 watt honda unit that can be carried w/ one arm and is so damn quiet you can literally carry a normal volume level conversation while standing next to it. I have a full fridge / freezer and a deep freeze as well as a well pump, sump pump to keep the basement dry, and the furnace for hot water that I like to have an option of running if the power is out for 3 days (as it has been 2x this year). That's why I went with the 5500 watt unit for about 800 bucks. Only down side is it is LOUD!

I like to be prepared and would be pissed at myself if I went to the trouble of buying a generator and had it be to small. Just my 2cents.

pen

thanks, pen
yeah. i've been thinking that too. it's the 1600w that is just that much more. but that still gets me to the comfort zone.
we have a gas range in the house. so that helps.
i'm definitely looking at costs. but saving other places might make $125 very sensible to spend.
i'm still not completely ditching the idea of the 800w one though. as long as i know what i'm expecting it to do. and don't ask it for more than that.
a honda is just more than i want to spend. and i really don't like buying used very often.
well. on certain things anyway. i would prefer a used guitar 9 times out of 10.
there are a couple other brands. one a little less money and briggs and stratton slightly more.
i still have at least a month to decide on everything.
i was very nervous about all of this just yesterday. not so much now.

i think a used leaf blower would be ok though.
i can hardly wait till it's time for the first cleaning.: )

I bought an etq 1800i inverter generator from amazon. The reviews won't blow you away but for about $350 bucks you could buy 3 of them or one Honda. I only ran it for about 10 hours so far ( about 2.5 tanks of gas, tank is about 1 gallon) and it seems well built to me. I ran a half horse power sump pump for 4 hours straight without a problem.
It starts right up and is fairly quite.

I am not afraid of the cheaper Chinese stuff for light use.

yeah. that's one of the others i was looking at. couldn't remember the name when i was replying to pen.
i'll have to look closer at that one.
that price is tempting though. makes me interested and wary at the same time.
i'm looking at them both on youtube now. one thing i don't like is how they call it an 1800 when it's rated the same as the generac 1600 (which can surge to 1800)

more research is called for. i may be being fooled, but the generac seems like a fairly safe buy. lots of reviews out there.
just narrowing things down to this point makes it a lot easier to make a final decision.

*i'm thinking i will end up with the generac 1600 or 2000 though. officially bagging the 800.
i can't get past the reviews on the chinese one. and generac is u.s. made with a good reputation.
they make their own engines, have pressurized oil systems and full automotive grade oil filtering.
really seems like they are built to last.

Good luck with whatever you end up with. Just remember to keep the oil clean and do not leave it full of gas. I have also been told to keep your watts to about half of its max and to run it every so often if it is not used frequently.

thanks. same to you as well. now i am just getting itchy to close on this house.
the sellers are getting ready to do a yard sale. but they don't legally have to be done for another month.

St_Earl said:
.....i'm thinking i will end up with the generac 1600 or 2000 though.....

Very smart decision on your part, IMO. That extra capacity may come in VERY handy in the future. Rather have too much, than not enough.

I prefer to right size the generator to the known load(s). We've gone without power for extend periods of time over the past decade. In the worst case scenario, the gas stations are also without power. Going oversize mean greater fuel consumption, so be prepared if all hell breaks loose and you need to rely on your resources for an extended period of time. Fuel economy and right-sizing of power to load becomes a real concern in this situation. You can only run a generator on fumes for so long.

BeGreen said:
I prefer to right size the generator to the known load(s). We've gone without power for extend periods of time over the past decade. In the worst case scenario, the gas stations are also without power. Going oversize mean greater fuel consumption, so be prepared if all hell breaks loose and you need to rely on your resources for an extended period of time. Fuel economy and right-sizing of power to load becomes a real concern in this situation. You can only run a generator on fumes for so long.

Good point. Another to consider is unless you need to run a sump pump or something constantly then there is no need to run a large generator constantly either. 2hours 2x per day and your fridge, freezer, hygiene, and media demands are more than met. A little more than an hour on each end is actually all that is really needed but why not spend that extra time w/ power on hearth.com :)

My generator burns about 1/2 gallon of fuel per hour doing everything I NEED in the house (or any average house for that matter shy of an electric oven / dryer). 2 hours in the morning and 2 hours in the evening is 2-3 gallons per day. Round up to 3 gallons just to be safe. Have a few 5 gal gas cans around and watch the weather, fill them up and the generator if things look hairy and that's 5-7 days of keeping things copacetic.

But, again, everyone has different requirements. I need the freezers kept up as I buy in bulk (1/4 of beef, 1/2 a pig, etc) and I don't have city water. I have little kids and our family goes through about 4 gallons of milk, a couple gals of OJ, etc, etc. We go to the store once a week and I have 2 fridges that are full the first 1/2 of the week (no counting the beer fridge which will always remain fully stocked at the end of the night but isn't powered during an outage. Luckily being full it can keep what's in there under 45 for 2 days.) I can flush toilets with creek water but I only keep about 5-10 gallons of fresh water on hand so after a few days I'm in need of my well, and a shower.

If you are certain all you will need is the stove then go for a smaller one. But if the stove could potentially need 800 watts, there is no way I'd recommend a 800 watt generator. Last thing you want is to under power it and have troubles that cause you to be cold with the power out and replace parts because of running them underpowered.

I have turned this pellet stove driven question into a gear room question, but I think the point to be made here will come in form of you posting back with what you finally decide to purchase and how you made out after your first run-in w/ no power which will help with as a reference later.

pen

Status
Not open for further replies.