Minimum Hearth Size for a Harman P43

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mark2m

Dec 30, 2009
Orange County, NY
Would like to say hello to the forum. I've been reading everything I can on these forums. Some great information. After a bunch of research I have decided on the Harman P43 stove. What I'm having trouble figuring out is what is the minimum floor protection required. I'm planning a corner installation and would like to tuck the stove into the corner as much as possible. Looking at Harman's documentation I'm completely confused.

Their brochure states for every stove a minimum floor protection is 25"w x 33"d . Looking at the top view of the P43 is shows 6" from the sides. Would you consider those measurements from the widest part or where they are showing as the stoves slopes in. Corner is showing 9" from the sides to the wall or 2" from the rear corners if you look at the P38+ which is basically the same stove. You can follow the link below to the brochure.
http://www.hearthnhome.com/downloads/brochures/P43.PDF

Now reading the installation manual there is a diagram telling me something else. Copied from page 7 in the installation manual.
Floor Protection must be 2 inches to each side, 6 inches to the front, and 1 inch to the back of the stove. Floor Protector minimum: 32½" wide x 33" deep.
Below this text you will see a diagram showing the 6" from the sides. I don't get it. Where are they taking these measurements from? Link to the install manual below.
http://www.hearthnhome.com/downloads/installManuals/P43.pdf

Now after all of that I still have no idea what a corner hearth dimensions would be. Dealer is telling me I need a 40" x 40" corner hearth from American Panel Hearth. That just seems like way over kill to me.

So what do you guys think? Thanks for any help?

Mark

I went off the diagram on the bag of the stove, on the corner install it's a minimum of 9" from each corner of the back of the stove (not corner of the hopper) to the wall, if you use that minimum 9" the back of the stove is within clearance also. Being a corner install i built the pad to fit the room and placed the stove where i wanted it having plenty of clearance. doing this before putting down the hardwood was also easier, no mess to worry about.

Attachments

• stove1 (Custom).jpg
    stove1 (Custom).jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 824
Mark,

Hemi is telling it straight. Clearance to combustibles (walls) is 9" on the sides from the corners of the stove itself not the hopper box. If you think about it....The stove is where the heat is (hopefully) not in the hopper :)

The hearth pad (floor) diagram is what is minimum required under the stove. 6" from the stove glass 2" from the sides and 1" to the rear. Keep in mind local codes also may require floor protection under the vent stack as well.

---Nailer---

Get yourself a piece of graph paper & lay it out to scale.
If you don't have the stove yet, go to your hearth shop &
take some measurements.
I do it this way ALL the time to tell my customers what the
MINIMUM size is for the hearth pad they need...

If you look at the tag attached to the stove it has the floor protection on it. 6", 2" , 1" and a diagram.

Thanks for the information guys.

Hemi the hearth looks awesome. I should have mentioned that the corner install is to be temporary for me, that is why I looking for the minimum clearances. I'm planning on taking down a wall in my living room to make a more open floor plan and will build a more suitable hearth at that time. I'm guessing the 9" from the back of the stove to the wall is really the only clearance I need to more about other than the floor protection. That is what has me baffled since Harman seems to be giving different measurements.

Maybe I'll just picked the stove up and figure it out from there.

Mark

imperial stove board is between 30 to 60 bux at Lowes/HD and is semi-attractive in black painted aluminum...

You can also dress it up more as I did with a layer of bricks placed directly over the board... about 15 bux or free recycled.

anka

Status
Not open for further replies.