Minimum Log Diameter to Split?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gman1001

Jan 9, 2006
Sales
I have a pile of Pinoak rounds that are about 5 or 6 inches in diameter. Debating splitting them as many on this board talk about loading up thier stoves at night with rounds. I guess they burn slower?

Just curious what others are doing.

I always thought oak split easy.... jeaz. This fresh cut pinoak is like iron with my splitting maul. It will have to wait for the splitter!

I like leaving the rounds, but will split them if there is not much time left for seasoning. I find Rounds take longer to season then splits.

Split them in half. Be good for next year. Not this year of it was cut green now.

Yeppers , Ye 'ole Pinoak rounds will have to wait for winter burn season 2007-2008 . You can leave them as rounds or you can split but this year is out as seasoned wood. I would leave them as rounds ..........Unless that's all you have for next year or you have a lot of it then you could split half.

Leave them as rounds and use them for the "before bed" load.

I do not split anything that will fit (comfortably) into the stove unsplit! When in doubt, split it.

4" and over gets split it dries faster and stacks better.

For what stove?

For mine, if it's bigger in diameter than my palm, I split it.

You'r right Vin pin oak takes a long time to dry

Status
Not open for further replies.