Minimum thimble /OAK height from ground

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ian105

Feb 10, 2014
Southwest Michigan
Doing an install in an on-grade slab/daylight basement.

Plan is an out, then up venting setup.

The harman accentra flue collar is only 6" from the floor to the bottom of the 4" collar.

This will leave be ~ 2" to be able to get the T cap off outside.
This also puts the OAK intake at ~ 11 inches from grade as its integrated with the thimble (Harman brand)

I reviewed the manual and did not see any requirements about OAK height.
I know I will need to keep snow clear of this intake.

Don't want a code issue when its inspected...so asking if anyone is aware of a guideline or something I missed.

I am aware of the 24" requirement from the ground for the vent termination, thus why I am going up after going out.

with 2 inches clearance for the tcap, you won't be getting a brush or linteater up there.
but you can always go at it from the top.
to me, the advantage of having the cap outside is easy cleaning.
also i'd want my oak up high enough that it getting snowed in wouldn't be something i always had to be on the lookout for.

I had thought about coming off the back of the Stove with a T, then up 12", then out. Seemed tho that this just put the T inside, in the same PITA low position, only this time behind the stove.
Seemed more logical to put it outside where I would have full access to it even in its low position.

Putting the stove on a pedestal is out of the question.
Could do a full raised hearth if I HAD to but really wanted a flush hearth look.

Yes only going up 3-5 feet, so cleaning from the top wouldn't be a problem.

My building inspector insisted that the OAK be above the average snow level. His concern was that the next owner might not understand the need to keep the area snow free.

Status
Not open for further replies.