Minimum time required to season firewood in drought stricken central North Carolina

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
To all,
Thanks for the great advice. All of the input from this forum is much appreciated. I've ordered my Fireview, looked into various fire wood options, called about a log splitter and I am on my way to having a nice warm winter free of giving all of my hard earned dollars to the gas company.
Jim

Jim, you will love that Fireview! Congratulations and a warm winter to you.

Thanks Dennis.

fossil said:
...You unlock this door with the key of determination. Beyond it is another dimension - a dimension of wood, a dimension of fire, a dimension of warmth. You're moving into a land of both shadow and substance, of logs and of ash. You've just crossed over into the Woodburner Zone. Rick
Best quote of the week? This one has my vote. Rick, you wascal! :lol:

Twilight Zone/Twilight Tone (/Firewood Zone)
(thanks Manhattan Transfer for the lyrics...)

Ravenvalor said:
Hi Fossil:

My guess is this - stored in huge pile in sun with low humidity and a minimum amount of wind, 16" long by 3" in diameter, species is white oak, red oak, hickory and beech.

Jim

You said above it was cut down 6 months ago? From what I understand from the smart guys here, if the trees were cut in February, you're a bit ahead of the game alerady, even where you are, I would think, since there's supposed to be less sap in the live trees in winter to begin with.

If it's been lying around in a huge pile in the open, the stuff that was on top is going to be in much better shape than the stuff on the bottom. If I were you, I'd plan on sorting it all piece by piece, separating out the oak that will need the longest seasoning for next year, and putting the medium-seasoned pieces real loosely in the windiest, sunniest spot you've got.

I went through last winter with partially seasoned wood, including a couple of cords that went through the same thing it sounds like yours has, sitting in a big ol' pile in a flield, but not delivered to me until December, so no chance for any further drying outdoors. I did OK, but it wasn't a lot of fun. You'll do better than I did, though, it sounds like.

Small splits and loose fire-buliding are essential, which also means frequent tending of the fire, but if you can get the stove temp up good and high to start with by using a few pieces of the driest stuff, the small splits and some artificial help with a compressed log or two, the semi-seasoned pieces will burn OK if they're not too big. 3" sounds pretty good, and if that's what he really brings you, you'll be in much better shape both for drying and for burning.

But do get yourself at least a cheap moisture meter so you know for sure what you're dealing with.

BrotherBart said:
Fact of life is that I have cut my red and white oak firewood from April to June every year for 25 years and started burning in October. The stuff burns but it just isn't the optimum and you need to keep an eye on the chimney. This year will be the first year I have burned one year seasoned wood in my life.

Damn well bout time. :cheese:

Ravenvalor said:
To all,
Thanks for the great advice. All of the input from this forum is much appreciated. I've ordered my Fireview, looked into various fire wood options, called about a log splitter and I am on my way to having a nice warm winter free of giving all of my hard earned dollars to the gas company.
Jim

One more piece of advice Jim: Seriously, consider getting some softwood to season more quickly. I know that your eastern buddies shun that wood. but out here in the west that is mostly all we have to burn. and it may make the difference between tonnes of smoke and low heat as opposed to nice heat with reasonably seasoned wood and shorter burn times.

Hey, we make do with that stuff all season long. and it works for us. most importantly it will dry much faster for you. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.