Minneapolis MN Plan To Remove 40,000 Ash Trees

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ericl1982

Jun 4, 2014
Minnesota
Need a different smilie for acceptance; No way losing my White Ash is ever gonna be :cool:. Sure, I'll move forward, but no way I'm gonna forget what it was like...

Reactions: Ashful
With the cold winter we had I was under the impression that the spread EAB should of slow down a bunch because of the multiple -30 days. It is sad to think about loosing all those trees. I would think that wood would have to stay in the affected areas. (See Map Link Below). I just hope we can find a solution to put a stop to this. I sure hope my Grandkids can experience an Ash tree one day.

http://gis.mda.state.mn.us/eab/

With the cold winter we had I was under the impression that the spread EAB should of slow down a bunch because of the multiple -30 days. It is sad to think about loosing all those trees. I would think that wood would have to stay in the affected areas. (See Map Link Below). I just hope we can find a solution to put a stop to this. I sure hope my Grandkids can experience an Ash tree one day.

http://gis.mda.state.mn.us/eab/
The temps have no meaning to EAB. It is a nasty little bug that has a strong will to survive. I'm a landscaper/ nurseryman and since they discovered the bore in my area just this early spring I have had to do some quick and intensive study on this pest. The local municipality that I live close to is taking the same cut and run stance. After some meetings and talking to the head money launderers of the city it all boils down to a funding issue. It is cheaper to cut the trees down and be done with it than to try to treat them with a systemic to kill the EAB. That's all fine and dandy since I will sell and plant more trees but the head arborist for our town is pileing all the wood in a brush dump which is open for anyone to go cut fire wood from. From his own mouth he said that they are requesting that no one take the infected wood outside of the county. I know for certain that much of that wood has gone as much as 40 miles away. Basically what has happened is that Iowa has gone to a state wide ban on hauling wood OUT of state but you can transport it anywhere within the state since they think it is a done deal.

I'm too far away, but I sure hope the hard hit areas recover from this devastation. I love Ash, the tree first.

I hate the bug but love the ash , to far

Status
Not open for further replies.