Minor LED bulb complaint

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

peakbagger

Minister of Fire
Jul 11, 2008
Northern NH
I have a set of "string" lights that normally would be used for temporary lighting on construction sites in my garage. LEDs would be great due tot cold temps in the garage, but everyone I have bought are not compatible with the string lights as the base of the bulb necks out past the Edison base enough that the bulb will not screw in far enough to make contact. I have used screw in CFLs (which don't work very well in winter and currently have halogen bulbs but both Cree and Philips LEDs have the same issue.

The lights aren't let off for long periods so its not a crisis but it is annoying since I bought 4 leds to change out the halogens.

Might be an easy fix for this. Shut off the power, take a screwdriver or pliers and pry up the center point contact in the bulb socket, turn the power back on, and the contact may be raised enough to make contact with the LED bulb. I had this issue when I replaced my refrig bulb with an LED, and issue was solved. Plus got brighter light and a lot less heat.

Reactions: woodgeek
Status
Not open for further replies.