Minuteman wood burning fireplace insert - wiring help needed!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BlackHawk99

Oct 9, 2008
Michigan
Hi folks!

Please forgive me if I use the wrong terminology!

I'm trying to fix the wood burning fireplace insert at our cottage in northern Michigan. We bought the property last year and the sellers disclosed that the fireplace worked fine, however, the fan motor was not working because a squirrel got down the chimney and chewed the wiring.

It's a Minuteman and is all solid steel. It has two closing steel doors that lock against each other with a vent on each door. I'm assuming this unit was manufactured in the early-mid 1950s since that is when the house was built. I have no reason to believe it was ever replaced.

Coming from the back of insert box I have a nice nest of wires that were once attached to a lead to the 120 volt power supply, the switch (appears to be a dimmer switch of sorts), a capacitor, and of course, the blower motor. I would like to replace the switch since it's pretty dingy. But, more importantly, I need to replace the wires that have been chewed through! I can't find a model number for this unit....and finding a Minuteman dealer seems to be even harder! I'm hoping you guys are able to save me!

Would any of you happen to have a wiring schematic for such a unit?

Thanks!

Anyone? Please!

I was thinking more about it. I'm baffled that this unit even has a capacitor. Those are only typically used for really large motors. So, what would be the harm in simply splicing on a plug end onto the leads coming from the motor? If it spins up, great. If not, it's probably time for a new motor.

If there are any markings or ratings on the blower you might be better off installing a new blower and motor and using modern wiring than to patch up questionable older wireing.... I do not have any other useful advice beyond that..

Dan

What's a good source for new blower motors? The current motor is behind the insert so I'm not even sure of its condition. I'm assuming I'll have to pull the insert out to even gain access to the motor.

Status
Not open for further replies.