MinWax stain and cat stoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashful

Minister of Fire
Mar 7, 2012
Philadelphia
So, I have miles of leftover floor joists and cross-bracing lumber left over from my barn framing project, but they're all stained with MinWax wood finish, Early American color. Any opinions on using this stuff for kindling in a cat stove? Any heavy metals in MinWax stain???

Stain by its very nature contains minerals to make each color. The specific minerals for your color is, who knows? If you want to use it for kindling try splitting off the stained part. Stain penetration is usually quite shallow. It could be removed with an ordinary wood plane in just a few strokes to leave you with bare wood.

Judging by the off-cuts, this penetrates 1/4". No matter... I'm not going to start planing for kindling! They're going in the outside fire pit, I guess. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.