Misc. Harman Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pellet_Pete

Feeling the Heat
Jan 22, 2014
Franklin County, MA
I've been saving up all my conundrums for one day, so here's the remainder:

1) On my XXV, my auger & distribution blower don't shut off when I open the door. I know this has something to do with the vacuum switch, but I thought I would have the opposite problem if the vac switch was busted (i.e. auger not feeding at all). What's going on?

2) Also on the XXV, my distribution blower during operation doesn't "seem" as strong as when I put it in TEST mode. Presumably related, I've also noticed that adjusting it between L & H in Room Temp mode doesn't change the fan speed at all. And I can't get the dist. fan to run at all when in Stove Temp. Bad potentiometers or a larger circuit problem?

Check the hopper lid / glass door seals, and then be sure the fines box and combustion fans. Many
have had issues like these and then found one of the screws wasn't tightened etc.

I've been saving up all my conundrums for one day, so here's the remainder:

1) On my XXV, my auger & distribution blower don't shut off when I open the door. I know this has something to do with the vacuum switch, but I thought I would have the opposite problem if the vac switch was busted (i.e. auger not feeding at all). What's going on?

2) Also on the XXV, my distribution blower during operation doesn't "seem" as strong as when I put it in TEST mode. Presumably related, I've also noticed that adjusting it between L & H in Room Temp mode doesn't change the fan speed at all. And I can't get the dist. fan to run at all when in Stove Temp. Bad potentiometers or a larger circuit problem?

Yeah...you've got issues there for sure. I would definitely try and locate the vacuum switch and the hose to it and make sure that works. Your auger should not feed pellets if the door is opened during normal operations. As far as the Pots go...I'd say you've got a problem with those as well but work on the other issue first. No fan at all in stove temp mode?

Well, I think I fixed the vacuum switch problem. Removed the switch, dusted it off, cleaned the terminals. Gave it the mouth test and noticed after a few cycles it started to "click" on and off. Also noticed that the punch-out in the plate covering the brass spur for the other end of the hose was pinching it off a bit, so I bent the plate to accommodate. Somewhere in all that, I fixed it because it's now working properly.

Well, I think I fixed the vacuum switch problem. Removed the switch, dusted it off, cleaned the terminals. Gave it the mouth test and noticed after a few cycles it started to "click" on and off. Also noticed that the punch-out in the plate covering the brass spur for the other end of the hose was pinching it off a bit, so I bent the plate to accommodate. Somewhere in all that, I fixed it because it's now working properly.

Just a quick and easy thought. You can get a small tube of electrical grease (dielectric) for a couple of bucks almost anywhere. I just bought some at Walmart. Grease your electrical connections for a better connection and no corrosion. Cheap insurance. What's left over you can use on battery terminals on cars, bikes, etc;

Status
Not open for further replies.