Misc. Pics

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

quads

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2005
Central Sands, Wisconsin
A few miscellaneous pictures from the last couple days:

Venus in the sunset, just below the power lines on the left:
IMG_6501.jpg

A snag just before I cut it yesterday, jet with contrails above it:
IMG_6504.jpg

Flowering moss in the woods today:
IMG_6507.jpg

Snoopy helped me cut wood for awhile today:
IMG_6521.jpg

ears touchs the nose hes a keeper!

smokinjay said:
ears touchs the nose hes a keeper!
Oh ya, she's a great dog. Been a dog owner all my life, but my first beagle. Now I wish I had a bunch of them. Only problem is that Mrs. Quads keeps her pretty close!

PapaDave said:
Well, as usual, great pics. I would never have thought of doing one like the moss. Awesome!
Thanks! I laid on the ground to get the moss picture. The ground in the woods is surprisingly warm already, and dry. It's that time of year, fire weather now. We've had several brush fires in our area the last couple weeks.

Thanks for the pics, Quads.
Beautiful moss.
Do you find the standing dead wood has fewer BTU's due to rot than a fresher kill?
I cut up a standing rotting spruce the other day that was barely worth the bon fire pit.
I think I'll start carrying the camera, now.
How full is your hard drive of .jpg's? Ha.
Happy burning!

maplewood said:
Thanks for the pics, Quads.
Beautiful moss.
Do you find the standing dead wood has fewer BTU's due to rot than a fresher kill?
I cut up a standing rotting spruce the other day that was barely worth the bon fire pit.
I think I'll start carrying the camera, now.
How full is your hard drive of .jpg's? Ha.
Happy burning!
Thanks!

No, the standing dead oak lasts almost forever, until it touches the ground. Even then, it will last for years laying on the ground, depending on how large it was to begin with. But I suppose pine might be a different story. I don't burn pine, but have cut standing dead pine when I needed to get it out of my way, and then leave it lay in the woods. They do seem like they are already beginning to rot by the time the bark is falling off. Oak only gets better once the bark falls off. Hardens like rock.

I take approximately 10,000 pictures per year. My current camera (Canon SX100 IS) will be two years old next month and I took picture number 17,630 today. That's not counting the ones I delete! As for the hard drive, not too big of a deal. I used to take all my pictures small (640x480) because I never print them. But then I got a new monitor that was bigger, so in the last couple of years I started using 1600x1200 to better fit the new monitor. Even 1600x1200 are still only about 1mb or so. And I organize all by pictures in albums by year/month/week.

Status
Not open for further replies.