miscellaneous forums

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JamesGuido

Feeling the Heat
Jan 5, 2021
Raymond, Wisconsin
i'm on a few other forums, a couple of barbeque forums....
one that i've been on for quite a number of years, actually two, but only one that i visit every day e'rso...
and then this forum and a couple of others.
i kinda like the idea of using real names instead of "handles"... kinda makes the member a bit more honest, in my opinion (aka: IMO)...

anyway, i sense a lot of bullshit coming from members (not necessarily here) to look or seem impressive to other members, and it seems it's happening more often now than in the past.
...and i guess i'm posting this is to find out if this BS spewing is only in my mind...? or, are others also seeing this phenomenon taking place as well but allowing it to slide...?
I do not intend to make a big deal of this, as i know i am aging and others are "wrapping their heads around" this modern technology at a pace that i cannot compete at.

Thank you for you ears.... and if this post sounds to far out there, Mr. Admin, please do not hesitate to delete and move on.

i'm on a few other forums, a couple of barbeque forums....
one that i've been on for quite a number of years, actually two, but only one that i visit every day e'rso...
and then this forum and a couple of others.
i kinda like the idea of using real names instead of "handles"... kinda makes the member a bit more honest, in my opinion (aka: IMO)...

anyway, i sense a lot of bullshit coming from members (not necessarily here) to look or seem impressive to other members, and it seems it's happening more often now than in the past.
...and i guess i'm posting this is to find out if this BS spewing is only in my mind...? or, are others also seeing this phenomenon taking place as well but allowing it to slide...?
I do not intend to make a big deal of this, as i know i am aging and others are "wrapping their heads around" this modern technology at a pace that i cannot compete at.

Thank you for you ears.... and if this post sounds to far out there, Mr. Admin, please do not hesitate to delete and move on.
I know some forums that require real names as well. And I think it may reduce some issues but not that much in my opinion. But that is just an opinion I could absolutely be wrong.

I don't really think regular bullsht is getting any worse. Political nonsense certainly is we spend allot more time now controlling that here.

Reactions: JamesGuido
Eh, I've used the same username since the 90s. Its my email address. If somebody sees my username on a forum, there's a real good chance it's me.

I try to tell it straight regardless of whether it's going to be popular.

In general, people need to have thicker skin. Some are always worked up over something. It can get exhausting.

certainly political talk of any type is BS to me, not what i was referring to, but that's ok.
Thanks for listening.

seems i just needed to say something at a time when i wasn't.

Reactions: bholler
There does seem to be an increase of gubmint paranoia interjected into some threads. The mods here have a fairly high BS filter and try to keep the falsehoods in check. And we do get some habitual braggers here and the mods do try to stop them from dominating the conversation. It's against forum rules to repeatedly promote or bash a product. Often this is more like fibbing than lying. This is like conversation found hanging out in the shop after work with some friends and beer BS which is why the Inglenook was opened up. Hopefully, the main forums are keeping more focussed on facts and helping others.

One of the reasons I always like to provide data/numbers/photos/videos to anything I post which may benefit from such. To state something is one thing, but to provide data/evidence to support it is another.

Here in NJ and much of East coast, we grew up with BS, talking sh.t, tough guy talk, arrogance and all that attitude crap. I look at BS now as entertainment , we see it coming from a mile away. No harm when u see it, you know what those guys are all about. Arrogance on the other hand is something that still makes me ballistic, can't take that attitude for more than 1 second. The good thing is there's hardly any of that here. Almost none!
I noticed the midwest folks are more sensitive to the crassness of east coasters, it's just a cultural thing. We don't get offended easily, can roll with BS'ers, but also can be aggressive (when challenged) in ways that can seem rude or discourteous to those with different backgrounds.

In summary, Don't worry be happy!

oh, i am by no means implying what i am saying happens here at all...
Honestly, i do sincerely believe all advice here is acquired first hand knowledge being passed on to others.

and after thinking about this more, i'm guessing i shoulda posted this thread in the forum where i initially came upon it.
a whole different website.

anyho, thank you all for your insight and most accurate comments. Very much appreciated.

Reactions: bholler
oh, i am by no means implying what i am saying happens here at all...
Honestly, i do sincerely believe all advice here is acquired first hand knowledge being passed on to others.

and after thinking about this more, i'm guessing i shoulda posted this thread in the forum where i initially came upon it.
a whole different website.

anyho, thank you all for your insight and most accurate comments. Very much appreciated.
Oh it happens here. Not nearly as bad as some other forums but it does.

I noticed the midwest folks are more sensitive to the crassness of east coasters, it's just a cultural thing.
Ditto. Seen the same thing in other forums. Sometimes directed at me, sometimes at others, but so often this dynamic.

Chill, folks!

it’s not getting worse, it’s just getting easier for people to broadcast it so it’s more noticeable.

On a side note if I don’t get a fu out of our tool room guy within the first 5 mins of the day I feel like I’ve failed. BS runs rampant at work and is generally viewed as entertainment.