Misleading tags at Home Depot

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cmonSTART

Minister of Fire
I was at HD today looking for stovepipe and glanced over the Englander display. Cool stuff. $999 for a 30-NC. However, they had a 12FP labeled at a non-cat stove, which OK, I guess it doesn't have a cat, but it's a bit misleading. Especially with the 13NC right next to it labeled the same.

Ok, I know I spend waaaaaaaaaaayy to much time on hearth.com

What's misleading? It's a non-cat stove. When I'm in the market again, I'll be looking for another non-cat stove.

What may be confusing to someone who doesn't know is the EPA exempt info on the 12 model.

You know I was wondering the same thing myself. I really could have used the 12 because the space I needed to heat was small. Nobody talks about the 12 too much and I figured if it was non EPA rated that it was no good, so I got the 13. why no EPA cert. Is the 12 an inferior stove with no air tubes?

I believe the 12 isn't EPA rated becase it doesn't have the ability to produce secondary combustion (doesn't have the tubes and baffle) like the 13 does. I believe its the same "size" stove though. Like Hanko said, they're both non-cat stoves.

When I bought a 12 three years ago at Home Depot it came with EPA stickers giving it that standard efficiency and emissions rating. I guess that does not mean that its EPA approved??? But the only thing that stove was is an old smoke dragon. I didnt care for the stove much at all. I never could get it to burn right and had to clean the chimney three plus times a season. Its a 35 to 1 stove, and it didnt work.

FIREFIGHTER29 said:
When I bought a 12 three years ago at Home Depot it came with EPA stickers giving it that standard efficiency and emissions rating. I guess that does not mean that its EPA approved??? But the only thing that stove was is an old smoke dragon. I didnt care for the stove much at all. I never could get it to burn right and had to clean the chimney three plus times a season. Its a 35 to 1 stove, and it didnt work.

Ding, ding, ding. Hit the nail on the head. It is a 35 to 1 stove (epa exempt). Notoriously hard to operate and is probably not gonna get alot of "air time" because of it. I think this is kind of the "bad step child" of the ESW line up.

Webmaster said:
Note that non-epa stoves have tags on them sometimes - certified exempt!

why is that Craig. I thought all stoves had to be EPA cert. after 1995 or at some point. Also why dont smoke dragon inefficient, OWB's and forced air wood furnaces have to be certified?

OWB are not in the house. EPA specifies wood space heater.
Central heat is exempt - the thinking (at the time) was that they represented such a tiny part of the market...it was not worthwhile developing a standard.
Fireplace are exempt - and so are stoves which take in a certain amount of combustion air. The reasoning is that dirty burning is mostly because of limited air.

BTW, Cookstoves are exempt as are masonry heaters that weigh over a certain amount. So if you build a REALLY heavy stove, it is exempted.

Status
Not open for further replies.