Missed a scrounge... Doh!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bluedogz

Minister of Fire
Oct 9, 2011
NE Maryland
Late last night on the way home, noted road crews clearing at side of I-95, leaving big rounds of hickory behind. Thought to myself, "ooh... grab THOSE tomorrow."

Pulled over this afternoon... nothing there but twigs and a pile of chips. Doh!

MSP probably grabbed them, threw them in the trunk of their cruisers! :zip:

bluedogz said:
Late last night on the way home, noted road crews clearing at side of I-95, leaving big rounds of hickory behind. Thought to myself, "ooh... grab THOSE tomorrow."

Know the feeling. I missed one (over a cord) a few hundred yard from the house, birch. Still can't shake the memory :lol:

bluedogz said:

You'll get lucky next time.

Blue Vomit said:
MSP probably grabbed them, threw them in the trunk of their cruisers! :zip:

Not if MSP is anything like MSP up here . . . those guys pack more stuff into the back of their cruiser's trunks . . . I mean it's almost crazy with all the stuff they haul around.

bluedogz said:

There's yer problem... what's that saying about the early bird? I'm not a morning person by any stretch but ya gotta get out there early for free pickins. I missed some cream (the easily handled stuff) a few weeks ago by probably a half hour and settled for a (huge) trailer load of big sugar maple rounds. Got it all loaded but while I was bucking the trunk at the fellow's home, another scrounger came sniffing, probably a half hour after I got there. I'd have been out there at dawn (as painful as that sounds), breakfast being a hot cup and a protein bar.

I was painting the church hall all weekend so I made a bunch of trips in and out of town. Friday night about 10 pm I left the church and saw maybe 20 rounds of sycamore cut and neatly stacked by the curb. The car was full of my kids so I figured I'd get the wood in the morning. My wife mentioned seeing the wood when she drove past at 8:30 am but by 9:30 when I went to get it, the wood was gone. From now on I will stop even late at night.

Well, ol Murph stumped me today. Out too late for a kijiji scrounge and showed up to find a brush pile, a stump and some wheel marks.

Wife was making French toast for brkfst and I didn't check email early enough. Oh well, that's how she bounces sometimes, huh?

Still felt like a dumbass.

Yea a couple weeks ago going out to lunch and saw a small pile of walnut rounds along the road but on the other side of the road I would be on the way back, on the way back after lunch 30 minutes later there was a van parked and a loading :-( could not believe the poor timing on my part, next time I will do some U turns.

Status
Not open for further replies.