"Missed Ignition"

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GregPaquette

Dec 11, 2013
Long Valley NJ
Howdy guys!

We recently moved into a home that has a Quadra-Fire Mt. Vernon Pellet Insert model MTVERNINSAE-PMH. We absolutely love the heat it puts out, and how easy it is to take care of.

This morning we got a "Missed Ignition" message, and obviously cant get a fire going. I've tried unplugging the unit to starting over and checked wire connections, and I've had no luck. Any suggestions?

Is replacing the igniter a easy step? Where does one go to buy a pellet stove ignitor?

Igniter is easy to replace, test it first with an Ohm meter for resistance to make sure it is bad, Can you see it glow when trying to start up? I have attached a troubleshooting manual for you that explains all this. Any Quad dealer will have them and they can be found online.

Attachments

• Quad MtVernon -AE Trouble Shooting MANUAL.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 1,093
Just because it missed an ignition it may well not be the igniter but the pot and the igniter holder tray needing a good cleaning as the flow of igniter heated air not getting where it needs to go to light. If in doubt clean, if that fails clan again.

Follow Bioburner's advice first, and make sure you really need an ignitor. Then again, it's an MVAE, so you're likely to need it within a year or two anyway. Ignitor is not hard to replace but having small hands helps. Doable by pretty much anyone with mechanical ability, though. I believe the owner of woodheatstoves.com is a member here, and I think they could provide it.

You can check to see if the igniter is getting hot by looking at it from the ashpan area. It will glow red. Usually this is a flow issue though..... Pull that baffle out and clean every crevice possible and make sure it is clean as a whistle.

Thanks for the tips guys. I've done all these things, and I've gotten no where.

Anyone else have any suggestions? The ignitior doesn't seem to be getting any power.

Have you checked the actual power leads going to the ignitor on a multimeter? If you haven't measured and confirmed that there is no power, it sounds like you just need a new ignitor.

Thanks for the tips guys. I've done all these things, and I've gotten no where.

Anyone else have any suggestions? The ignitior doesn't seem to be getting any power.
Use the manual I sent you.

There is really no shame in resorting to reading the manual.
Available on Quad's website.

Reactions: Madcodger
Status
Not open for further replies.