Missed my Wild Thing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob From Wisconsin

Minister of Fire
Nov 20, 2005
East-Central Wisconsin
Hard to believe, being that I own a Stihl also!!
But, my Poulan Wild Thing had pretty much been on "moth balls"
due to poor cutting performance (even w/ sharpening).
Finally decided to replace the bar & chain w/ new Oregon replacments.
What a difference!! It cuts through everything like "butter", and is a lot
easier to wield than my big Farm Boss, although I also bought a 20" Oregon
Bar/Chain upgrade for that unit (haven't had time to put it on yet).
The Stihl will likely be used strictly for large tree felling.

I know people rag on cheap things (myself included) but if it works for you then keep using it. I've bought many a cheap thing that my dad just rolled his eyes at and I still have and use them. On a similar note, though, I have many a cheap thing that my dad gets to say "i told you so" about as well...

It's nice to hear praise of something like that on the internet, because it seems that nobody says anything unless they have a gripe about it.

Hey Rob, if it works, then go for it. Just make sure you wear a mask. Its like mopeds and fat girls. There fun to ride until your friends see you on one. :lol:

I threw a stihl semi-chisel chain on my poulan and use it all the time. I also have a $43 poulan electric to adhere to the good neighbor policy.
I only break out my echo as needed.

Jags said:
Hey Rob, if it works, then go for it. Just make sure you wear a mask. Its like mopeds and fat girls. There fun to ride until your friends see you on one. :lol:

Yes, I hear you on the safety aspect.
I have a integral helmet/mask/hearing protection device.
Works like a charm, and makes cutting so much easier - no fogging of goggles or
hearing protection getting in the way of the helmet.
I never knew what I was missing....

Rob From Wisconsin said:
Jags said:

And it conceals identity. ;-P

Jags said:
Rob From Wisconsin said:
Jags said:

ANNNNDDD ,,,, you can play Darth Vader and Princess Lay a with your wife !!!!!!! :zip:

definiteLEE said:
Jags said:
Rob From Wisconsin said:
Jags said:

ANNNNDDD ,,,, you can play Darth Vader and Princess Lay a with your wife !!!!!!! :zip:

Is that your light saber or are you just happy to see me?
Luuuke - feel the force.

When that wild thing was new, my wild thing that is, it is a very nice starting, nice running, quiet running saw that dumped the proper amount of bar lube on the chain. I could hold it in one hand stretched out to limb trees and with a sharp chain it made quick work of smaller wood.

I have a Stihl MS290 but I have fond memories of the wild thing. Until you've owned one and used it for slash, limbing, or small firewood you can't really knock it.

Highbeam said:
...... you can't really knock it.

You won't find me busting any chops (well maybe poking fun... :) ) I gots lots of trigger time on a homey 240. It was my only saw for many years.

Highbeam said:
When that wild thing was new, my wild thing that is, it is a very nice starting, nice running, quiet running saw that dumped the proper amount of bar lube on the chain. I could hold it in one hand stretched out to limb trees and with a sharp chain it made quick work of smaller wood.

I have a Stihl MS290 but I have fond memories of the wild thing. Until you've owned one and used it for slash, limbing, or small firewood you can't really knock it.

Did it have a pink racing stripe on it ?????????? :gulp:

I have the Craftsman version. It's the easiest saw to start. I love that primer bulb! A semi dull chain will ruin my day though. Some day when I have some cash to burn I'll buy a short bar and chain for it.

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.