% missing before replacement Catalyst

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mandoo

Jan 8, 2008
Mid-Ohio
After cleaning out my VC Defiant 1945 (newer cat model) I found about 2% of the cat honeycomb has fallen out. So what now? Leave it another year? Replace because this means the Cat material is shot?

One other question since buying a part from VC is not an option where can I find a nice replacement catalyst?

I know I had seen a lot of the answers in the forums past but a search did not give me any results.

The experts say if your stove still comes up to temp and you see no smoke it's still working, but if it's crumbling now it will only get worse. I'd buy a replacement now and keep an eye on it as the season progresses. Crumbling and cracks are usually caused by thermal shock from wet wood. I would look into the new steel cats that are resistant to thermal shock.

http://catcombustor.mybisi.com/products/Vermont-Castings_24165/?page1

After a whole lot of searching and reading, I've decided to go with a Condar Steel Cat. I was no too sure about the coral design of the Clear Ski so this looked like the best choice for me. Like the idea of it lighting off well below 500*. I don't like the price!

Also would like to add in case someone else needs the info in the future that the degraded Cat is not worth messing with, it lived it's 2.5 to 3 season life. I run the stove for main heat not to supplement.

get a new cat now, and put it in... save your old one as a suitable replacement should the second one crap out...

summit said:
get a new cat now, and put it in... save your old one as a suitable replacement should the second one crap out...

I did and it's on the way. I will probably scrap the old one just because it's too easy to find one and have it shipped. When I typed the original post I had no idea my size was standard among Cats and so easily available.

Once you get that steel cat going, please post a review. I've seen a few discussions about them here and would rather like to hear about your experience - i.e. is it really noticeable in terms of operation with lower light-off temp etc, does it seem to perform as well/better than old one (should seem better just because it is new, but perhaps you can recall how the original was when new?).

Thanks.

Slow1 said:
Once you get that steel cat going, please post a review. I've seen a few discussions about them here and would rather like to hear about your experience - i.e. is it really noticeable in terms of operation with lower light-off temp etc, does it seem to perform as well/better than old one (should seem better just because it is new, but perhaps you can recall how the original was when new?).

Thanks.

Yeah, what he said. I'm thinking the new steel cats are the future of catalysts with the lower lite off, thermal shock resistance, and less plugging.

I ask on here last year about the steel cat and one person said go for it and I did I think it worked great . I have a really strong draft and have to turn secondary burning on sooner or my black pipe gets hotter than I like so I bought a steel combuster when I cleaned it this year the only thing I noticed was the edge around the combuster was a little curled over otherwise it was perfect I hope it last as long as they say. It does like off sooner from what I can tell . I have been burning a cat stove for 6 years now.
I didn't like the price either but if you break it down its like buying tires for your car its worth it in the long run longer cleaner burns with less wood..

Redburn - I know it is hard to really tell objectively (unless you kept records of course) but do you think in your setup that the steel cat performs any different efficiency wise than the original one did? i.e. are you burning any less wood day to day?

Slow1 its hard to say depends all the different conditions , if I'm home and turning it up I'm not home allot , the chimney was very clean this year .As for burning less wood I just got this encore last season it was in a vacation home and hardly used(the price was right) my other one was well worn and I notice this one is burns less wood than the other one did even my Mom thinks so she put wood in during the day for me so I can't say yes its the steal cat, I bought it because of the the lower light off times and durability . Hope that answers ur ?. What the story about your experience with your VC Encore NC and why you got rid of it? When I do get a new stove Fireview is one of my picks..

Good enough - a lot of it is rather subjective unless you have the ability to compare apples to apples and keep rather anal records of your wood consumption and the environment.

re: my decision on replacing the stove - that's a story for other threads. Short version is that I concluded the VC just wasn't the right stove for my application/home/family. Clearly it was not an easy decision given the cost implications.

Redburn said:
Slow1 its hard to say depends all the different conditions , if I'm home and turning it up I'm not home allot , the chimney was very clean this year .As for burning less wood I just got this encore last season it was in a vacation home and hardly used(the price was right) my other one was well worn and I notice this one is burns less wood than the other one did even my Mom thinks so she put wood in during the day for me so I can't say yes its the steal cat, I bought it because of the the lower light off times and durability . Hope that answers ur ?. What the story about your experience with your VC Encore NC and why you got rid of it? When I do get a new stove Fireview is one of my picks..

Do you monitor the stove temps? If so were they any higher or lower?

Todd said:
Redburn said:

Do you monitor the stove temps? If so were they any higher or lower?

I do monitor my temps I have 3 thermometers that I use , the stove 500 to 600 and black pipe 325 to 400 . I am getting long even burns which is important to me. When I have a full load at night it does roar a little I bet its at full temp in there from what I understand 1200 degrees . I am burning all premo hardwood allot of oak. This will be the first full season with it .

Slow1 said:
Good enough - a lot of it is rather subjective unless you have the ability to compare apples to apples and keep rather anal records of your wood consumption and the environment.

re: my decision on replacing the stove - that's a story for other threads. Short version is that I concluded the VC just wasn't the right stove for my application/home/family. Clearly it was not an easy decision given the cost implications.

Just wondering ......THanks..

Status
Not open for further replies.