Missing cutter tooth on my chain

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iskiatomic

Minister of Fire
Nov 15, 2008
Central CT
I was doing some cutting today and run into some ugly stuff. Chain, then was not spitting out clean chips.

Got home and put in the vise to sharpen and after about ten teeth I noticed one cutter tooth was gone.

I continued to sharpen the chain. Now I am thinking is this chain going to be "alright"?

My utmost concern is saftey. Should I just scrap this chain or keep it around for dirty work?

Thanks, KC

Scrap it. Something is either fatigued or you whacked something good to knock a tooth off. Either way you look at it, it had some unusual abuse. At 18 bucks, it ain't worth the risk in my opinion.

I've used old beat up chains like that for cutting down stumps and cutting up the bottom 6' or so of boundary trees that I suspect or knew had barbed wire in them. Wind knocks a tree over and and you want to cut off the roots to remove the stump ...that's a dirty job and OK for a less than perfect but still serviceable chain. Have an experienced cutter look over that chain and see what they say.

I agree with Jags, junk it. If your luck is anything like mine, this is a warning that it is getting ready to come apart!!

Status
Not open for further replies.