Missing/no fire bricks? VC Resolute

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mramisuzuki

Jan 3, 2015
NJ
836b0db3338d7bfbc022af3671bc91b8.jpg
005c9b21d0e4f5d9c48c21816e3325d0.jpg
685ca69540bda5878dbb34cfec9b13a2.jpg
d1054eaa9887372ca1e23ccc6220a8bf.jpg
502e3cc06e5c0b6c6cc4024e6942b327.jpg

Hello:

I just move into a house and my wife and I. Were greeted with a really nice wood stove. Never owning a wood stove but having a corn stove at an old hunting lodge. I have some knowledge of how these stoves work.

As I cleaned out the stove to get ready to use. I noticed it was maybe missing the fire bricks. I looked at the manual and noticed this stove has a very unique brick cast. Not just some bricks laid in there neatly.

So is this thing missing bricks?

Thanks for the help.

This is an older version of the stove, there is no firebrick for this one, find out what the model # is and download the right owners manual and you should be good to go. Also a search here should yield good advice on how to run this stove.

OK I'll look. It seems there is a little port hole on the side. That a softer piece of cast might be used to stop warping. Can be felt with my finger. Though I might be making something that doesn't exist.

OK, sorry for the bumb. It's looks to be a Resolute III. The manual never mentions fire bricks in the construction or maintenance.

Give it a good cleaning[vacuuming] behind the cast fire back where the stove exhausts when the bypass damper is closed. Do this by removing the stove pipe and reaching in with the vacuum hose. The port hole on the side is for secondary air control when the bypass damper is closed, leave it open unless the stove runs too hot with the damper closed and the primary air closed.
Build a good fire and monitor the the stove top temperature on the griddle and when it gets to 500 close the bypass damper and then adjust the primary air to control the temperature as needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.