Missing Refractory Panels in Fireplace?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Solarity

Sep 23, 2014
Rochester, NY
I took a look at my neighbor's who has the same ~1979 Majestic Fireplace as I do and he has these fire bricks on all the inside walls of his fire box. It looks like the previous owner of my house had a gas line installed where the little knock outs were and they had to remove one of the panels. I have read it is possible to plug the hole, though is it possible to replace the refractory panels with a generic one that is cut to size? I am having someone take a look at the fireplace mid January to do an inspection of the fireplace and chimney as I want to move back to wood. Other than the panel and the hole, I don't see anything else.

I think the model is a L42BR or L42BL, though can't be sure as it has like 7 models on the label plate.

Status
Not open for further replies.