Missing the "stove starter" 3" pipe adapter ...can I continue install?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tundraSQ

Oct 7, 2006
I picked up my Harmon XXV and PL pipe kit last night at the warehouse and when I got started this morning unpacking and installing the stove I noticed that they did not include the Simpson stove starter adapter that seems to be a flange/coupler that attaches the pipe to the stove. They chaged me for it but it is not in the box. So...I called them and they said yes I could drive up and they have one in stock but it is a 3 hour round trip and i will be doing that trip in two days anyway so i am not "rushing" out the door today to get the part. I have called around locally and noone has one...but most people say that I can just slide the PL pipe onto the stove fitting and seal that with good with the high temp sealant i am using on the stove. And then add the stove starter adapter whenever I get one. If you guys think I should wait I will.

Thanks!!

once you seal it, it will be on pretty permanently. If you had the 3079, then you could tape it for future dismantle. I would wait, or go find one local. There cheap. Have the original seller credit you back.

Yes the 3079 is what i am looking for..I just can't find one, other than the one that is a pretty good drive...so I guess thats what I am going to do...get in the car and drive..I may have found one only 30 minutes away.

Update....I just talked to the owner of the store who I bought it from. And I would have been SO po'd if I had driven 90 minutes to find this out. And it goes to the training of your employees. It seems the "missing" 3079 part was in fact already attached to the 45 degree elbow. But in my mind and in the pictures I think I have seen this part should NOT resemble the simpson PL pipe. I was expecting it to be a cast iron 2 part piece that pressure fit to the stove and locked to the PL pipe. INstead it just slides on and I high temp seal it,

I hate being a noob at stuff..OK so now i will let all the silicon dry while I read up on the stove..and maybe crack a cold one.

Status
Not open for further replies.