Mistake made cleaning PE Summit insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

69911e

Oct 29, 2010
CT
Cleaned my stove for the first time using the rotary system. Worked great on the 35' run.
After completion, I realized that I did not cap the opening at the back firebox and the soot probably fell into the opening. This is the opening which feeds the baffle air.
As this is the insert, I don't want to remove the whole thing to inspect. Is there an area I can inspect/clean this?
Thanks
Ed

If the Summit has the same design as the Super 27, no soot should have actually got in the airway, as it is sealed off from the rest of the firebox. The only ingress to that airway is from the holes in the baffle, and the opening at the bottom for the secondary air (which is not in the actual firebox). You could probably get away with removing the baffle to remove the soot from the top of it and the heat shield. Please correct me if I'm wrong, some one.

Edit - Just ignore me. I read the original post wrong. Sorry.

I am assuming the baffle was removed prior to the sweep. Therefore some of the sweepings could enter the opening. If you have a 1/2 inch copper pipe or some plastic tubing, duct tape it to the end of the hose of a shop-vac and place the pipe in the opening as far as it will go to clean it out. That should remove any material that may have entered.

Sisu said:
I am assuming the baffle was removed prior to the sweep. Therefore some of the sweepings could enter the opening.

Didn't think of that..... good point.

How much creosote did you have in your chimney?

Way too much...
Probably 3-4 quarts which I suspect was due to non-properly seasoned wood. Just built house and no time last year to split early. This year I am all split earlier. I did burn 3 cord and heated without oil once I figured things out in December.
Strange thing is it was partially clogged and caused smoke. When cleaning bottom up, I found practically nothing (about 1 handful) until the last foot before the cap. Then the 3-4 quarts came out.
Any thoughts?
Also wanted to make sure the funny EBT mechanism was not under this opening.

The EBT is in the front of the stove. You should be fine using the shop vac with a narrow tube to suck out the sote.

69911e said:
Way too much...
Probably 3-4 quarts which I suspect was due to non-properly seasoned wood. Just built house and no time last year to split early. This year I am all split earlier. I did burn 3 cord and heated without oil once I figured things out in December.
Strange thing is it was partially clogged and caused smoke. When cleaning bottom up, I found practically nothing (about 1 handful) until the last foot before the cap. Then the 3-4 quarts came out.
Any thoughts?
Also wanted to make sure the funny EBT mechanism was not under this opening.

What's your chimney like?

35' 6" non-insulated stainless inside outside masonry chimney. Sealed at top with cap

69911e said:
35' 6" non-insulated stainless inside outside masonry chimney. Sealed at top with cap

That is alot of non-insulated chimney. My guess would be that the flue gasses are cooling enough by the time they get to the top that they condense and cause your creosote problem. Then you couple that with burning not so great wood and you have the perfect recipe for lots of creosote. Would a 6" insulated liner not fit down your chimney? You will probably want to start keeping a closer eye on the chimney to make sure your not getting build up from now on. I would start checking it every couple of weeks next year until you get comfortable with it.

Went with dealers advice to not put insulation in. All dealers in the area said it was not needed. Obviously, that is up for debate.
I may pull it and wrap if I have problems next year. No way to inspect from the top as it is too high for a ladder (47' off ground) and a hip roof, so no safe access from roof.

69911e said:
Went with dealers advice to not put insulation in. All dealers in the area said it was not needed. Obviously, that is up for debate.
I may pull it and wrap if I have problems next year. No way to inspect from the top as it is too high for a ladder (47' off ground) and a hip roof, so no safe access from roof.

Snap a pic of that if you could. I would like to see it.

I always stuff an oversized rag in the hole. Works like a charm.
Make sure ya make yourself a new baffle gasket. I am on the same one I made a few years back, still perfect condition. No more cheesy gaskets.
You prolly got a bit more than just a little soot down that channel. I know there is a decent pile of soot on the rag when I do mine. So yes, hook a small pc of tuning to a vacuum and suck it out real good.
Not the worst mistake in the world, fixer up and learn the lesson LOL.

Just turn the stove upside down and shake it out. :lol:

I did the same thing (twice) . I did the shop vac thing with a peice of 3/4 rubber hose taped to it. I had no issues burning after. And I do what Hog does now.

Rag is a great idea; I will use that next time. The stove actually burn great still. I just know there is stuff where it does not belong.
Thanks for all the great advice!
Ed

If you don't want to go through the hassle of pulling the liner to insulate, make yourself a block off plate for either the damper section or the first flue tile if you can reach it and start pouring thermix down around the liner. Definitely a cheaper alternative, but also more labor intensive. The insulation should definitely be there in my opinion, and should keep creosote to a minimum towards the top of the liner.

hearthnleisure said:
If you don't want to go through the hassle of pulling the liner to insulate, make yourself a block off plate for either the damper section or the first flue tile if you can reach it and start pouring thermix down around the liner. Definitely a cheaper alternative, but also more labor intensive. The insulation should definitely be there in my opinion, and should keep creosote to a minimum towards the top of the liner.

I completely agree. I think this is a good idea in your case.

Status
Not open for further replies.