Mistake of allowing bro-in-law wood for campfires...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

donatello

Nov 8, 2007
Connecticut
Well, :roll: I WAS asked for wood for campfires from my bro-in-law and told him "no problem,come on bye". I SHOULD have had a stack of wood for him, but I got side tracked and not even home,my wife was... I went out to cover my stacks-o-wood and found a bit of my good stuff gone. Not a lot but, oak and hickery :bug: .... I was thanked, and I'm glad it was enjoyed,but NEXT year I'm going to have a nice stack-o-pine for just such occasions... It was my stupidity. Sorry guys, I had to vent.

i camp a lot as well and having a campfire is a must IMHO when camping. back when i was heating primarily with wood i used to segregate wood between stove and camping wood, heating with pellets now , so i dont get as picky but i still maintain a woodpile simply for camping.

I've got the main woodpile for burning in the house and a pile that is right behind the camper. It is full of bad splits, punky wood and less desirable species. That is the camping wood and the wood that I have offered to a couple of people to take camping if they need it.

I'm going up to Shenandoah National Park this weekend, and they are telling everyone to leave their firewood at home, because of transporting destructive insects. The emerald ash borer has made its way to Virginia and they're trying to prevent its spread...

I cut a 53in willow and sold the whole tree too the campgrounds by my house.kept a cord for myself and my brother got it to.Glad he dont know the diff.

Stragic placement of low quality wood is part of my wood pile management ;-) I have about 150' of chainlink fence along the
back of my property that I stack wood along. The end nearest my drunken party happy neighbors is all punky junk wood, green boxelder and red cedar. I figure when they "borrow" some at 2am at least they're not getting the good stuff.

donatello said:
Well, :roll: I WAS asked for wood for campfires from my bro-in-law and told him "no problem,come on bye". I SHOULD have had a stack of wood for him, but I got side tracked and not even home,my wife was... I went out to cover my stacks-o-wood and found a bit of my good stuff gone. Not a lot but, oak and hickery :bug: .... I was thanked, and I'm glad it was enjoyed,but NEXT year I'm going to have a nice stack-o-pine for just such occasions... It was my stupidity. Sorry guys, I had to vent.

It used to strike me as bizarre that people would take firewood with them to go camping. I guess I didn't realize that camping was done in a designated "campground". We always used to simply drive on remote roads until we found a promising place by a creek or lake and set up out tent. We were in the woods, and there was limitless amounts of wood.

Still, if someone wants to bum firewood from you for whatever purpose, perhaps he should help get it. I think people don't realize that what they're really asking for is your stuff and labour for free. If he can rationalize requesting some of your wood (which cost you time and money) since you have lots, perhaps you can rationalize asking him for a bunch of money as you are going shopping, will need some, and he has some.

Or you could tell him your stuff isn't really suitable and give him twenty bucks to buy some at the campground.

Boy I'm not very charitable am I?

It used to strike me as bizarre that people would take firewood with them to go camping. I guess I didn't realize that camping was done in a designated place. We always used to simply drive on remote roads until we found a promising place by a creek or lake and set up out tent. We were in the woods, and there was limitless amounts of wood.

Still, if someone wants to bum firewood from you for whatever purpose, perhaps he should help get it. I think people don't realize that what they're really asking for is your stuff and labour for free. If he can rationalize requesting some of your wood (which cost you time and money) since you have lots, perhaps you can rationalize asking him for a bunch of money as you are going shopping, will need some, and he has some.

Or you could tell him your stuff isn't really suitable and give him twenty bucks to buy some at the campground.

Boy I'm not very charitable am I?

Status
Not open for further replies.