Mix Atf and Hydraulic fluid?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

freeburn

Feeling the Heat
Jan 5, 2008
USA
Is it OK to mix hydraulic fluid and atf? I bought a new splitter and it came with hydraulic fluid from the manufacturer, but the dealer that set it up added 3 QTS of atf to it. Is that going to harm anything?

From my Iron & Oak splitter manual

Hydraulic Oil Specifications (non-foaming)
Tractor Hydraulic Oil
For extremely cold weather conditions . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . SAE 10W or AW 32
For extremely warm weather conditions . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . SAE 30W or AW 68
Automatic Transmission Fluid
For all weather conditions . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Dexron VI, Mercon V or equivalent

Important Notice
DO NOT mix tractor hydraulic oil with automatic transmission fluid. Also,
DO NOT mix different types of hy
draulic oils and transmission fluids
(e.g., synthetic with non-synthetic). Hydraulic
oil is NOT compatible with transmission
fluid, and different TYPES of hydraulic o
ils and transmission fluids MAY NOT BE
compatible with each other

Probably won't hurt anything, but if it were mine I would want all the same fluid. Why take the chance on incompatibility problems hurting your pump?

Probably won't hurt anything, but if it were mine I would want all the same fluid. Why take the chance on incompatibility problems hurting your pump?
I agree ^^^

Unfortunately, the dealer that set it up already mixed the different kinds together?!?!

ATF is commonly used as Hydraulic Fluid, but my manual also said don't mix them. Not sure why. If it did not foam or separate, I don't think I would worry about it.

I had a hard time finding Hydraulic Oil in less than 5 gal containers, until I found it at Home Depot. They carry it in one gal jugs.

atf has completely different anti-wear additives than hydraulic fluid. It can have similar viscosity but they are not the same.

Hi
I have a Caterpillar 950 loader.The site glass on the hydraulic tank has been sandblasted,making it cloudy.Every yr or so i add a pail of ATF to the AW 32 that i usually use in the hydraulics's.Makes the fluid pink and then i can see the fluid in the site glass.The AW 32 is clear.I have been doing this for the 15 yrs i have had the loader,it spends it's Winters working a logging show,and there have been no issues.
In the past we used 10W oil for hydralic's,then the AW 32 came down in price,so it's the goto fluid now.
Thomas

Status
Not open for further replies.