Mix match ss liner?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Coachgeo

Sep 7, 2013
Middletown OH
Locally......... well....... maybe 100 miles for both trips total....... there is

. 10 feet of 8" SS rigid liner
. 6 feet of 6" SS flex liner

cost....... 90 bucks or so before driving (but I get nearly 50mpg :D )

Needless to say a HUGE savings.

This would be all I would need in length probably inside the chimney.

Stove calls for 6"

Chimney is cement block with 8" ? clay tile. Was orginally for an oil stove.

Add damper to get right flow since 8" may make it flow too well?

Not enough room for insulation around 8" SS liner though???

Could this be made to work efficiently?

Why are you introducing 8" pipe or flex liner at all. You want 6" only.Missing from this list are the tee, tee cap, chimney flashing and cap.

Why are you introducing 8" pipe or flex liner at all. ....
As stated in other threads I need to line my chimney. After buying stove I've come to realization; little to late.......... it cost more to do the lineing than the cost of the stove. Simply cant afford it no matter how much I "want" too.

Unless........ maybe this mix match might work

orrr other wise..........

ANYONE WANT TO BUY A 1974 Yamaha XT 550. Excellent shape. Runs AWESOME. New tires Adventure Bike tires along with second set of excellent nobbys. New saddle bags. Used as commuter this summer at approx 50mpg. 1200 dollars.

If I sell that I might can afford to put stove into service this year. Otherwise......... it will have to be put off a year or risk one year with old clay llined chimney (1960's but it all looks great inside except very top 1' of clay. I Was homeless basically last few years (underemployed professional) My financial world is just now turning around. I bought a tiny home and happy to be moving forward but must be wise in my path.

You don't need to nor can you line an 8x8 tile clay with 8". Price the liner for 6" all the way. Do you already have some cords of dry wood split and stacked?

You don't need to nor can you line an 8x8 tile clay with 8". Price the liner for 6" all the way.
Well there goes that. Too far above budget. No stove this year. Thanks for all the help

Do you already have some cords of dry wood split and stacked?
luckly that is not an issue and budgeted for already. Fully seasoned is available to me locally in several places.[/quote]

If only the very top piece of clay is bad, just knock it out and replace it. It's more common than not for the top tile to be busted. It's caused from not having an expansion joint between the liner and the chimney crown. It's not a big deal to change out.
If the flue is good shape, just use it as it is. Get a certified chimney sweep to inspect it just to make sure.

If only the very top piece of clay is bad, just knock it out and replace it. It's more common than not for the top tile to be busted. It's caused from not having an expansion joint between the liner and the chimney crown. It's not a big deal to change out.
If the flue is good shape, just use it as it is. Get a certified chimney sweep to inspect it just to make sure.
Your the second person to recommend this.... though the other was not online. If I went this route.. how would I get optimal draft since it calls for 6" pipe? To keep draft proper why not just run standard stove pipe thru the chimney? Better yet insulate it too with same a material etc. designed for a metal rigid liner?. Would not be as good as proper liner but better than going with clay only?

found this interesting

http://chimneysweeponline.com/houndersiz.htm said:
...Lots of wood stoves use regular clay lined chimneys. They meet code and are fine if they are in good condition. You do not have to use a steel liner unless the flue is too big or in bad shape. For example an 8x8 square clay liner is equivelant to a 6 inch round. I see lots of SS lined 8x8's because they were told it was to big at 8inches.
but. unless my math or article is wrong, that does not compute. An article says cross-sectional area (CSA) of a 6" flue is just over 28 sq.in., ( http://chimneysweeponline.com/houndersiz.htm ) but 8x8" = 64"

update. inside diameter of 8x8 is 6.75x6.75 for a CSA of 45.56 via http://publicecodes.cyberregs.com/icod/ifgc/1997/icod_ifgc_1997_appb_par001.htm

hmmm.. another update

found this..... and of course everything on the internet is correct :p

[URL='http://www.anpac.com/safety/home/III/Wood_Stoves.pdf[/quote]']http://www.anpac.com/safety/home/III/Wood_Stoves.pdf[/URL] said:
If you use an existing fireplace chimney to vent your stove, ...

The cross-section area of the chimney flue should be at least 25 percent bigger than and
not more than three times that of the stove pipe...

Last edited:
I think the bigger problem will be the short chimney, not the increase in c-s area. The stove may be balky or spill smoke when the temps outside are mild. Connect the stove with a pair of 45s and a diagonal connector. Burning only dry wood will be essential here.

One strong way to extend it is to add more of the same block and clay tile.

Status
Not open for further replies.