1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

mix softwood and hardwood pellets

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by 4dimad, Oct 24, 2010.

1. 4dimad

4dimad New Member

Loc:
    MA
    Is it safe to mix harwood and softwood pellets? I have a few bags of hardwood left from last year, and this year I am using softwood.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    It's safe, but I would burn through the batch of last years pellets first. The old pellets may have absorbed a bit more atmospheric moisture making them slightly less dry. And they may have a different feed rate than the new pellets which could requires a small feed rate setting change.
  3. defield

defield New Member

Loc:
    South Central Maine
    I have been mixing hardwood and softwood pellets for some time.

No problems.

Currently mixing hardwood lignetics ( two years old and want to use them up) , LGs ( softwood ), and Okies ( softwood).

Ranger
  4. captkirk5858

captkirk5858 New Member

Loc:
    Northern Vermont

I realise that diferent stoves burn better on certain types of Pellets. why is it that so many users here have such a variety pellets stored?
  5. vvvv

vvvv New Member

Loc:
    MAINE
    pellet density is a big factor & related to stove venting, stochiometry is the holy grail.
  6. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Silly me, and here I thought heating reliably and affordably was the goal. No heating needed due to superior insulation and design, now that is the holy grail.
  7. jtakeman

jtakeman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    Sure you can. I have heard some say you get a great balance of heat and longer burns by doing so. There are some pellet manufacturer's that do that for you right at the mill. Energex Canadian in the green bags has been doing a blend for a long time.

Well, In some cases(like mine). You just have to try them all or as many as possible.:)

Some of us use the pellet for the "season" method per say. I have Cubex/Hamers/Turmans for the extreme cold. To save a bit of cash I have what we call shoulder season pellets for the fall/spring season. Were the pellets don't have to be heat crankers. This allows me to purchase a cheaper pellet. I don't recommend it for everyone and always try before you buy. The cheap pellets are generally cheap for a reason. Some contain excessive ash amounts and so on. Doesn't bother me so much because of the multifuel feature of my stove.
  8. captkirk5858

captkirk5858 New Member

Loc:
    Northern Vermont
    ok...i bought a couple test bags from Lowes that were a 50/50 mix and couldnt figure out why i had a HUGE hard clump in the burn pot..... then after extensive researc in tis forum i found Hamers at my local HD for the same price as everything else they had. and Bought all i could. unfortunatly its only 2 tons and i suspect i will burn 4 this year. so the search continues....
  9. gbreda

gbreda Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Lakes Region, NH
    and I thought is was because variety if the spice of life........or, is it that I am a pellet addict and need help :cheese:
  10. defield

defield New Member

Loc:
    South Central Maine
    Gbreda,

Re: "….....or, is it that I am a pellet addict and need help"

I would say that you are definately a pellet addict, BUT IMO that is a GOOD addiction , therefore, NO help needed! :)
  11. captkirk5858

captkirk5858 New Member

Loc:
    Northern Vermont
    If you could buy Hamers for 175 a ton would it be safe to say why bother with anything else???? IE a "Shoulder Pellet?"
  12. jtakeman

jtakeman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    Yes! $175 for Hamers and I would just load up on those! Hamers near me are $245 to $259 a ton. I have shoulder pellets around $200/ton. It all depends on the "region" as far as pricing goes.
  13. imacman

imacman Guest

As Jay said above, at that price, load up on as many tons as you can afford & store for this winter and maybe next too.
  14. captkirk5858

captkirk5858 New Member

Loc:
    Northern Vermont
    Does anyone pay tax on your pellets? i was surprised when i looked at the receipt that there isnt any tax charged. Sales guy was also..
  15. imacman

imacman Guest

Depends on the state, and even the county/town you live in. For example, NY state does not charge for pellets due to them being a heating fuel, but some counties and individual townships in NY do.

There should be NO tax on them anywhere, IMO.
  16. captkirk5858

captkirk5858 New Member

Loc:
    Northern Vermont

Oh i Agree
  17. Defiant

Defiant Vermont Castings Geek

Loc:
    Old Lyme CT
    atmospheric moisture

You gotta love this expression !!

Thanks BeGreen