mix softwood and hardwood pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

4dimad

Jul 4, 2008
MA
Is it safe to mix harwood and softwood pellets? I have a few bags of hardwood left from last year, and this year I am using softwood.

It's safe, but I would burn through the batch of last years pellets first. The old pellets may have absorbed a bit more atmospheric moisture making them slightly less dry. And they may have a different feed rate than the new pellets which could requires a small feed rate setting change.

I have been mixing hardwood and softwood pellets for some time.

No problems.

Currently mixing hardwood lignetics ( two years old and want to use them up) , LGs ( softwood ), and Okies ( softwood).

Ranger

I realise that diferent stoves burn better on certain types of Pellets. why is it that so many users here have such a variety pellets stored?

samm6 said:

I realise that diferent stoves burn better on certain types of Pellets. why is it that so many users here have such a variety pellets stored?
pellet density is a big factor & related to stove venting, stochiometry is the holy grail.

Silly me, and here I thought heating reliably and affordably was the goal. No heating needed due to superior insulation and design, now that is the holy grail.

4dimad said:
Is it safe to mix harwood and softwood pellets? I have a few bags of hardwood left from last year, and this year I am using softwood.

Sure you can. I have heard some say you get a great balance of heat and longer burns by doing so. There are some pellet manufacturer's that do that for you right at the mill. Energex Canadian in the green bags has been doing a blend for a long time.

samm6 said:

Well, In some cases(like mine). You just have to try them all or as many as possible.:)

Some of us use the pellet for the "season" method per say. I have Cubex/Hamers/Turmans for the extreme cold. To save a bit of cash I have what we call shoulder season pellets for the fall/spring season. Were the pellets don't have to be heat crankers. This allows me to purchase a cheaper pellet. I don't recommend it for everyone and always try before you buy. The cheap pellets are generally cheap for a reason. Some contain excessive ash amounts and so on. Doesn't bother me so much because of the multifuel feature of my stove.

ok...i bought a couple test bags from Lowes that were a 50/50 mix and couldnt figure out why i had a HUGE hard clump in the burn pot..... then after extensive researc in tis forum i found Hamers at my local HD for the same price as everything else they had. and Bought all i could. unfortunatly its only 2 tons and i suspect i will burn 4 this year. so the search continues....

j-takeman said:
4dimad said:

Sure you can. I have heard some say you get a great balance of heat and longer burns by doing so. There are some pellet manufacturer's that do that for you right at the mill. Energex Canadian in the green bags has been doing a blend for a long time.

samm6 said:

Well, In some cases(like mine). You just have to try them all or as many as possible.:)

Some of us use the pellet for the "season" method per say. I have Cubex/Hamers/Turmans for the extreme cold. To save a bit of cash I have what we call shoulder season pellets for the fall/spring season. Were the pellets don't have to be heat crankers. This allows me to purchase a cheaper pellet. I don't recommend it for everyone and always try before you buy. The cheap pellets are generally cheap for a reason. Some contain excessive ash amounts and so on. Doesn't bother me so much because of the multifuel feature of my stove.
and I thought is was because variety if the spice of life........or, is it that I am a pellet addict and need help :cheese:

Gbreda,

Re: "….....or, is it that I am a pellet addict and need help"

I would say that you are definately a pellet addict, BUT IMO that is a GOOD addiction , therefore, NO help needed! :)

If you could buy Hamers for 175 a ton would it be safe to say why bother with anything else???? IE a "Shoulder Pellet?"

samm6 said:
If you could buy Hamers for 175 a ton would it be safe to say why bother with anything else???? IE a "Shoulder Pellet?"

Yes! $175 for Hamers and I would just load up on those! Hamers near me are $245 to $259 a ton. I have shoulder pellets around $200/ton. It all depends on the "region" as far as pricing goes.

samm6 said:

As Jay said above, at that price, load up on as many tons as you can afford & store for this winter and maybe next too.

Does anyone pay tax on your pellets? i was surprised when i looked at the receipt that there isnt any tax charged. Sales guy was also..

samm6 said:
Does anyone pay tax on your pellets?....

Depends on the state, and even the county/town you live in. For example, NY state does not charge for pellets due to them being a heating fuel, but some counties and individual townships in NY do.

There should be NO tax on them anywhere, IMO.

imacman said:
[There should be NO tax on them anywhere, IMO.

Oh i Agree

atmospheric moisture

You gotta love this expression !!

Thanks BeGreen

gbreda said:
j-takeman said:
4dimad said:

samm6 said:

and I thought is was because variety if the spice of life........or, is it that I am a pellet addict and need help :cheese:

No it is chicken math.

Status
Not open for further replies.