mixed bag!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

ScotO

ok so the past several days I have been out splitting and stacking what wood I had laying near my stacks (there was a couple piles down there which amounted to almost two cord and it was just too swampy all fall to get at it). So as I am stacking I started thinking, wondering what kinds of different wood I have in my stacks. Wow, I have quite the variety! Here's what I figure that I have in the stacks, in order from greatest to least amount:

White Ash
Honey Locust
Black Locust
Silver Maple
White Oak
Red Oak
Red Maple
Hard Maple
White Beech
Norway Maple
Black Cherry
Apple
Blue Spruce (newly added!)
Lilac (you wouldn't believe the size of the monster lilacs we cut down last summer, 12" trunks!)
Tulip Poplar

This about sums up what is in my 20+ cords of C/S/S firewood. Now how about yours? %-P

I am not too far away from you but I have a few trees you don't have. In general order of how much wood i have:

Black Oak
White Oak
Chestnut Oak
Red maple
Black Walnut
Red Cedar
Scots Pine
Black Locust
Black Cherry
Norway Maple
White Ash
Weeping Willow
Red Oak
Bradford Pear
Sugar Maple
Honey Locust
Shagbark Hickory
Pignut Hickory
Pin Oak
White Pine
American Elm
White Birch
Bigtooth Aspen
Russian Olive
Ironwood (Eastern Hop Hornbeam)
Paulownia (?)
Sassafras
Japanese Zelkovia

My total is about 12 cords.

Looks like you could experiment with several load & burn recipes.
The perfect mix for every 10° weather change :)

20 cords..... Sweet
I have birch & spruce :)

Wood Duck said:
I am not too far away from you but I have a few trees you don't have. In general order of how much wood i have:

Black Oak
White Oak
Chestnut Oak
Red maple
Black Walnut
Red Cedar
Scots Pine
Black Locust
Black Cherry
Norway Maple
White Ash
Weeping Willow
Red Oak
Bradford Pear
Sugar Maple
Honey Locust
Shagbark Hickory
Pignut Hickory
Pin Oak
White Pine
American Elm
White Birch
Bigtooth Aspen
Russian Olive
Ironwood (Eastern Hop Hornbeam)
Paulownia (?)
Sassafras
Japanese Zelkovia

My total is about 12 cords.
Nice cache, woodduck. I realized I have a wee little bit of Katalpa and some Shagbark Hickory, maybe a couple wheelbarrows of each, leftovers from two years ago that were thrown back into the pile.....lol.....

:)
bogydave said:
Looks like you could experiment with several load & burn recipes.
The perfect mix for every 10° weather change :)

20 cords..... Sweet
I have birch & spruce :)
BD it amazes me how you guys can go through those brutal winters with those relatively soft woods. I have tried many different recipies but it mostly boils down to this for me on any given cold day in the winter:

morning kindle (6:00am) consists of a couple of ash/maple branches (2" to 3", I have them all through my stacks) and a couple of ash/maple splits on top of them.

midmorning we pull the coals to the front and its a couple of ash/maple splits (unless wifey has to work, then its a couple of oak splits to last the day)

after work (3:00pm), a couple ash/maple splits

mid evening (8:00-9:00pm) one or two small ash or maple splits

bedtime (11:00pm) again, pull the coals to the front, three or four white oak/locust splits. Wake up at 5:30am and start it over again!

seems to work great if I can stay on this routine. If we are away for the evening or even a whole day, the stove gets stuffed with locust, and it's good for 12-13hrs (since I fixed my draft issue) :)

We were looking at our wood stacks today. We saw ash, ash, white ash, ash, white ash and some ash. There is a little bit of soft maple and a little elm. Also some pin oak. Then there are the stacks with some ash in. Then there are some more ash stacks. Have I mentioned we have cut quite a bit of ash? Next week we plan on cutting some ash...

It's a Michigan(or maybe mid-west) thing Dennis. I just picked up my buddies 35ton today and will be splitting in the evenings all next week. Then probably some more next weekend. Of all the wood I have bucked so far this winter it has to be 90% Ash with a little maple, cherry and elm in the mix. Did I mention I have a whole lot more ash to cut?? Lots of dead standing ash here and more to come. I will post picks of my work when I get the chance but have to coach wrestling all day tomorrow - between that and the Superbowl I am not sure it will get touched until Monday.

Here's my breakdown in approximate order of the most to least.

Locust
Cherry
Sugar Maple
Beech
American Elm
Pig Nut Hickory
White Oak
Ash
Black Walnut
Soft Maple
Apple
Pine
Aspen
Cedar
About 10 cords css
Guessing 7-8 cords to split
About 1 cord of slab cut and stacked and 1.5 cord yet to be cut and stacked

Here in town about 3 cords total
Red Oak
Black Oak
White Oak
Bur Oak
Black Walnut
Mulberry
Red Elm
Shagbark Hickory
Norway Maple
Silver Maple
American or White Elm
Eastern Red Cedar
Eastern Hophornbeam/Ironwood

At parents acreage about 12 cords total
Red Oak
Black Oak (between these two its about 60% of what I cut every year)
White Oak
Bur Oak
Shagbark Hickory
Red Elm
American or White Elm
Mulberry

I stick with the reds, blacks and whites. Red, black and white oak, black cherry and black locust. Oh, and a splash of mulberry from last years scrounge. Pretty narrow range compared to most people here.

We don't have near as much ash here in western ky. , at least around me. And none of it is dying, thank goodness..........elm on the other hand. Anyway, mostly what I get is black and red oak, black cherry, black locust, soft maple and elm when I want to fool with it. I have also gotten hedge, black walnut, pignut hickory, white oak, persimmon, ash and sassafras in lesser amounts. By the way, I am a trunk man, anything 18 inches to 2ft. is extra beautiful;);).

Backwoods Savage said:
We were looking at our wood stacks today. We saw ash, ash, white ash, ash, white ash and some ash. There is a little bit of soft maple and a little elm. Also some pin oak. Then there are the stacks with some ash in. Then there are some more ash stacks. Have I mentioned we have cut quite a bit of ash? Next week we plan on cutting some ash...
Dennis I didn't realize you had any ash at all... :p

First post but been lurking around for a while.
I had an old zc removed and put the northstar in back in November. Love it and it heats the whole house with ease. Not saying much this winter though.
Have been scrounging and stacking wood for years and have the following in order of quantity:

Black Locust
White Oak
N Red Oak
Silver Maple
S Red Oak
Norway Maple
Black Cherry
Red Maple
Sassafras
Mockernut Hickory
Sweet Gum
Pitch Pine

scroungerjeff said:
I had an old zc removed and put the northstar in back in November. Love it and it heats the whole house with ease. Not saying much this winter though.
Have been scrounging and stacking wood for years and have the following in order of quantity:

Black Locust
White Oak
N Red Oak
Silver Maple
S Red Oak
Norway Maple
Black Cherry
Red Maple
Sassafras
Mockernut Hickory
Sweet Gum
Pitch Pine
Welcome aboard Jeff,
Sounds like you've got a nice selection there.

Scotty Overkill said:
Backwoods Savage said:
Sounds like Dennis is up to his ash in Ash.

Did I ever mention Ash is my fav? Around here it's mostly Black Ash.

LLigetfa said:
Scotty Overkill said:
Backwoods Savage said:
Sounds like Dennis is up to his ash in Ash.

Did I ever mention Ash is my fav? Around here it's mostly Black Ash.

Yep nothing like a little ash to get the house heated up. ;-)

JoeyD said:
I stick with the reds, blacks and whites. Red, black and white oak, black cherry and black locust. Oh, and a splash of mulberry from last years scrounge. Pretty narrow range compared to most people here.

That mulberry is probably White Mulberry, the most common type of mulberry.

Backwoods Savage said:

you must get tired of "HAULIN' ASH"...............LOL

Wood Duck said:
JoeyD said:

I've got lots of ash too.....and the wife ain't crazy about me playing with anyone's ash but hers. ;-P She really gets mad when I hug her while looking out the back window and whisper in her ear "honey you have some nice ash..." :lol:

Thistle said:
Here in town about 3 cords total
Red Oak
Black Oak
White Oak
Bur Oak
Black Walnut
Mulberry
Red Elm
Shagbark Hickory
Norway Maple
Silver Maple
American or White Elm
Eastern Red Cedar

At parents acreage about 12 cords total
Red Oak
Black Oak (between these two its about 60% of what I cut every year)
White Oak
Bur Oak
Shagbark Hickory
Red Elm
American or White Elm
Mulberry

Nice cache Thistle! you got a great selection. I keep some of mine up at the inlaws place, we have a log landing up in a hollow by his house and it is a great place for the overrun. Me, my father-in-law, and my best buddy all heat our houses with wood. My buddy and I cut as a side job and we get a pile of wood over the year, so whatever extra we cannot put at our houses goes up there, and when we need we can go and get it (I have at least 15 cord out back of my house so I shouldn't need it for a while). I probably have 5 to 7 cord that is mine up at the inlaws, maybe more. If the FIL needs any of it hes welcome to have it (theres probably around 15 cord between all of us up there too.) If there's one thing I learned on this site over the years (I just joined in the fall but have been creeping on here for a couple years) it is to be way ahead on your wood to make sure it is seasoned. Esp. when you rely in it as your primary heat source like we do here.

JoeyD said:
JoeyD, you have some of the best stuff in your pile. Do you stay way ahead on your oak, as I know it takes it quite longer to season (at least in my experiences with it). I really like the oaks because they burn down to a good coal bed and eventually to total powder (alot like locust).

Hickorynut said:
By the way, I am a trunk man, anything 18 inches to 2ft. is extra beautiful;);).
Hickory I like it all, but I agree about the trunks. I like the REALLY big trunks. Nothing like getting twenty to thirty splits from one round! ;-)

scroungerjeff said:

Black Locust
White Oak
N Red Oak
Silver Maple
S Red Oak
Norway Maple
Black Cherry
Red Maple
Sassafras
Mockernut Hickory
Sweet Gum
Pitch Pine
Scrounger welcome to your newest addiction, Hearth.com! You are now on yer way to becoming a master of the flame, this is a great place to get ideas, put in yer ideas, and do a little ball-bustin once in a while. you got a great selection, you should have no problem working some different burns with that cache of wood.....

Scotty Overkill said:
Wood Duck said:
JoeyD said:

I've got lots of ash too.....and the wife ain't crazy about me playing with anyone's ash but hers. ;-P She really gets mad when I hug her while looking out the back window and whisper in her ear "honey you have some nice ash..." :lol:
My point exactly.

My breakdown from most to least is approximately:

red oak
white ash
red maple
beech
sugar maple
white birch
yellow birch
black cherry
black birch
Norway maple
plum
American elm

Adds to just over 20 cord I think - lots more to cut - should have 25 cord c/s/s by end of this coming fall

Status
Not open for further replies.