1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

mixed bag!!

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by ScotO, Feb 4, 2012.

1. RORY12553

RORY12553 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern NY
    In no rush the wood isn't going to get up and walk away and the guy is in no rush to have it moved. Need to get set up with pallets and posts so i can just stack it when i get it to the house.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    No . . . it's black cherry . . . I even looked up prunus serotina to be sure . . . I guess what it comes down to is that with different people we all have different ideas of what tastes, smells, hears, feels or looks good.

I like blonds, Dennis likes redheads.

I like Woodchuck cider and hate the taste of beer, my buddy Aaron calls cider poison and loves a tall glass of Guiness.

I like alternative rock, other people like country.

I guess it's the same here . . . I love the smell of cherry and find it aromatic, others do not.
  3. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    Well as a forester you certainly would know your trees . . . and it seems as though there are a few folks here who agree with you . . . although it seems to me over the years there have been many folks here who tend to love the smell.

I actually looked up prunus serotina to be sure we were on the same page . . . and yeah . . . same tree . . . you and I are both talking about the same tree.

As I posted before . . . I guess it comes down to the fact that we all have different ideas of what smells, tastes and looks good and what is bad. I hate the taste of onions . . . my wife loves them. I think black cherry smells quite nice, you do not.

So what do you think of eastern white cedar? ;) Maybe we can find commonground here.
  4. thenorth

thenorth New Member

Loc:
    sudbury, ontario
    I have====
    a pile of tree length
    a pile of 16'' bucked length
    a pile of split's
    a pile of twigs
    a pile in the shed
    a pile in the basement........................
    ALL WOOD.............
  5. ScotO

ScotO Guest

now THAT'S some specifically right there..... :smirk:
  6. scroungerjeff

scroungerjeff Burning Hunk

Loc:
    S Jersey
    Wow didn't mean to start a row about cherry. I am certain that I have mostly black cherry (P. serotina). I am a biologist and have had an affinity for trees all my life. I agree that people have umteen viewpoints about how things smell and taste. I actually meant that i like the smell of the seasoned cherry while burning. It did have a sweet musty odor when i opened the doors to feed it more. The green cambium of a twig smells awful due to, I believe it was stated before, a cyanide compound (been a while since dendro class).
  7. Thistle

Thistle Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central IA
    That's true. Cattle & deer can browse the green leaves with no ill effects,but when a branch is broken or something else causes the leaves to turn brown that contains cyanic acid.Can be deadly in large enough doses.