Mixing Corn into Pellets?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bamboo

Nov 28, 2008
So. NH
What are the cautions relating to mixing corn with our premium hardwood pellets? I'm not able to perceive any difference in flame or heat output in my Whitfield Quest Plus pellet stove. So, what's the problem?

I have a Quad Castile and have burned a 50 50 mix and It burned well. I didn't notice any big difference except for the clinker you need to clean out daily. With the price being the same ,why bother.

woodsman23 said:
Corn has a more corrosive exhaust gas than pellets. They may burn a bit hotter.

Corn has LESS BTUs then wood pellets but the gases are very corrosive and will eat metal like crazy. This is why you need not only exhaust rated for corn but the exhaust in your stove rated for corn. A biproduct of burning corn is Hydrocloric acid. so you want the exhaust as short as possible.

Do not get me wrong I burn corn inside my store but you have to know what to expect.

Eric

Gentlemen, Thanks for your quick responses. All points duly noted and due to the 10' of Z-Flex up the fireplace chimney, I'll give the rest of the corn back to the deer. Unless I'm trying to stretch out my last bag of pellets while trying to find more. I was rather hoping that an increase in pot burn temp. might kick my burn into a higher gear closer to the 'Blast Furnace' displayed in the more modern stoves. No such luck though. I'll have to try another tactic. Input welcome. :)

As I'm in the middle of King Korn country, I'm burning a 75/25% corn to hardwood pellet combination. The pellets seem to give me a cleaner, more complete burn with fewer clinkers from the corn. I'm happy with the heat output, but this is the first I've heard of being concerned about the corrosive exhaust......one more thing to investigate.

Status
Not open for further replies.